• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV gap - agency asking for bank statements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogerthedodger View Post
    May I ask WHY they want copies of bank statements.
    Yes.
    Next time an agent or client asks you, ask them why.
    And please post your answer here, only to be shot down by people who say that there is absolutely no reason ever to give your bank statements to someone.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There's a mindset with many people that they have to supply full date details on a CV and if every detail isn't supplied, the candidate is somehow being 'cagey'. Supplying every detail of dates is IMHO messy and unnecessary and not good marketing. Surely good marketing is getting your key messages across very concisely, neatly and rapidly with the minimum of superfluous verbage. If you've been a company director for umpteen years (and they will check with Companies House) then you can't have been in one of HM's hotels because if you had been, you wouldn't be a director anymore. If they really want to know, they can ask, but in 25 years I've only ever twice been asked for full history of dates. The requests were made at interview not at CV stage, and I got both contracts, so the policy seems to work.
      Getting your foot in the door is the key. Whatever works for you. But if you had a three month gig from November last year to February this year, 2017-2018 gives a false impression of it for me.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Yes.
        Next time an agent or client asks you, ask them why.
        And please post your answer here, only to be shot down by people who say that there is absolutely no reason ever to give your bank statements to someone.
        Well, OK, if I'm ever asked (but I doubt I ever will be), I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. As somebody above said they'd done, can just blot out the sort code and acc. no.

Comment

I suppose can do similar with passports ie mask out the DoB

Comment

I suppose can do similar with passports ie mask out the DoB
            If you need to prove who you are, surely your date of birth would be part of that proof?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Depends if people are soft arses and lube up everytime an agent asks for stuff like this and whether people are really desparate for the job.

As has been said, if any agent or prospective client wants to know if you have been banged up at Her Maj's pleasure, they can get a DBS \ CRB certificate. It is not expensive, hard or difficult to do.

As far as Im concerned, no agent or client has a right to know what my income was between contracts nor what I was doing during these times. Yes, Id tell them I was taking time out \ having a holiday but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                Depends if people are soft arses and lube up everytime an agent asks for stuff like this and whether people are really desparate for the job.

As has been said, if any agent or prospective client wants to know if you have been banged up at Her Maj's pleasure, they can get a DBS \ CRB certificate. It is not expensive, hard or difficult to do.

As far as Im concerned, no agent or client has a right to know what my income was between contracts nor what I was doing during these times. Yes, Id tell them I was taking time out \ having a holiday but that's it.
                You can blank out the income details or not care due to having multiple bank accounts.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post

*David Attenborough mode on*

Enter the keyboard warrior, stalking its prey, carefully, looking for the weakest, those most likely to snap.
                  He seems the alpha in this situation. Then the agent asks to see a copy of his passport or driving licence/birth certificate combination before he can attend the interview due to it being part of clientco's op risk policy. No, comes the snarling reply, as the workless contractor struts proudly back to his bench.

Comment

Solution: close the gaps on your CV. Easier than all this bollocks.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      *David Attenborough mode on*

Enter the keyboard warrior, stalking its prey, carefully, looking for the weakest, those most likely to snap.
                      Should his username be changed to "Washed up keyboard warrior"?

If you're that worried about sending information, don't send your CV, they might find out stuff about you which is probably perfectly legal for them to do.
                      Alternatively, create a heavily doctored CV where you don't put in dates, just list a few clients. Actually, you don't want them to know where you worked. Maybe just list your limited company (if you have one) but nothing else.
                      have a 1 line CV, with your name and contact details removed and only your company name listed (but not your company number or they might steal that), etc.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X