• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV gap - agency asking for bank statements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    They just want to check that you weren't spending time at Her Majesty's pleasure, or you haven't been money laundering/financing terrorism (esp if it's a financial gig).

Show them an account but block out all the account nos/sort codes. I've done that with no issues.

You can say no, they may tell you to jog on. Contracting, hey, it's full of decisions.

ps - buy the sex toys on the credit card.

qh

I do understand this, but it's still a silly request. Let's face it, even if you did finance terrorism or launder money, you're not likely to ensure all your nefarious transactions are right there on your bank statement for all to see, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      I do understand this, but it's still a silly request. Let's face it, even if you did finance terrorism or launder money, you're not likely to ensure all your nefarious transactions are right there on your bank statement for all to see, are you?
      If you got caught, you're in trouble. If you didn't, good luck to you.
      After all, Jimmy Savile would have passed a DBS check.....
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        If you got caught, you're in trouble. If you didn't, good luck to you.
        After all, Jimmy Savile would have passed a DBS check.....
        Exactly. Like the nonsense we go though every time we board a plane. Nothing but security theatre.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          You said:

You said:

So you're happy to spread a story, but unhappy to make an effort to back up the story.
          Ref bank statements OK yes I said I wasn't at all sure it was legal. That's not the same as saying it is illegal.

I'm more than happy to say what I understand to be true and I'm trying to help with a few pointers, but to repeat, I haven't time to go trawling for the hard evidence. It's up to people to do their own research. If I had the evidence to hand then rest assured I'd give it.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerthedodger View Post
            OK yes I said I wasn't at all sure it was legal. That's not the same as saying it is illegal.

I'm more than happy to say what I understand to be true and I'm trying to help with a few pointers, but to repeat, I haven't time to go trawling for the hard evidence. It's up to people to do their own research.
            My point is that it is NOT illegal to ASK for a bank statement or a copy of a passport.

1. There's a big difference between ask and demand
            2. Without knowing exactly why something is being asked for, to say that it is illegal (or might be illegal or might not be legal or whatever way you want to reword it) is not valid.

If someone asks me for something that I am unsure about giving out, the first thing I do is not ask on the internet, it's to ask them WHY they want the information and what they plan to do with it. The good thing is that while the UK is still involve in the EU, then the GDPR still applies, so you can find out what companies hold about you and you can ask them to remove you - something that they are legally required to do.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              If I'm recruiting and you're being cagey about when you worked there (to hide gaps in cv or short contracts), you're not off to a good start with me. Year/month is a must imo.
              There's a mindset with many people that they have to supply full date details on a CV and if every detail isn't supplied, the candidate is somehow being 'cagey'. Supplying every detail of dates is IMHO messy and unnecessary and not good marketing. Surely good marketing is getting your key messages across very concisely, neatly and rapidly with the minimum of superfluous verbage. If you've been a company director for umpteen years (and they will check with Companies House) then you can't have been in one of HM's hotels because if you had been, you wouldn't be a director anymore. If they really want to know, they can ask, but in 25 years I've only ever twice been asked for full history of dates. The requests were made at interview not at CV stage, and I got both contracts, so the policy seems to work.
              Last edited by rogerthedodger; 9 July 2018, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerthedodger View Post
                in 25 years I've only ever twice been asked for full history of dates.
                Whereas in 4 years as a contractor, I've been asked about every gap of more than a month, every time. Initially companies were happy with a declaration signed by me as to what I'd been doing; in recent years I've had to produce bank statements and jump through other hoops.

I work in financial services. I could say no, and I could enjoy benching myself when I've got nothing to hide. I just redact a lot of the information on the statements and send them the relevant bits.

I've typically not bothered to point out that it's proving nothing because I could have loads of other bank accounts, including in false names, with all sorts of nefarious income on top of my legitimate salary as a company director coming from my company warchest - why make them question their own process?!

The business need is logical and reasonable, but they're trying to prove a negative. I'm just happen I can do it as easily as providing bank statements.

As others have said, everyone always has the choice not to provide this stuff but in some sectors making that choice is making the choice not to be in a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by toastermoster View Post
                  My view, having been on the 'dark side' of screening and vetting.

I'd say it depends on the role and the level of screening required. But for a contractor I'd say what they are asking for would be unusual.

But some firms will want to know the what the gaps are, dependent on the screening policy. They will need to know what you were doing, and this will involve looking at banks statements showing what comes in and what goes out. And yes from previous posts were you at HMP somewhere. But if you were caring / dealing with a death, you'll need to provide evidence. Not nice having to do that but that's the way it is.

Seen a few instances where bank statements have been provided, with some transfers from wife/partner/boyfriend etc with some text such as 'for services rendered last night'. Done as a joke and always gets a laugh, but maybe a thought that nothing is private.

As I say, as a contractor it is a bit different normally but maybe good to know......
                  Do you mean a death certificate?!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    My point is that it is NOT illegal to ASK for a bank statement or a copy of a passport.

1. There's a big difference between ask and demand
                    2. Without knowing exactly why something is being asked for, to say that it is illegal (or might be illegal or might not be legal or whatever way you want to reword it) is not valid.

If someone asks me for something that I am unsure about giving out, the first thing I do is not ask on the internet, it's to ask them WHY they want the information and what they plan to do with it. The good thing is that while the UK is still involve in the EU, then the GDPR still applies, so you can find out what companies hold about you and you can ask them to remove you - something that they are legally required to do.
                    If passport is requested before an offer has been made, it contravenes Age Discr Law.
                    Last edited by rogerthedodger; 9 July 2018, 19:00.

Comment

May I ask WHY they want copies of bank statements. People keep saying that "they want to know what you were doing", but isn't it painfully obvious that if you're running a business then you're going to be spending time on marketing and admin etc, or am I missing something? I've yet to meet an independent limited company professional who does 220 billable days a year, year in, year out.

Comment

Working...
                      X