• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting issues with Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting issues with Client

Morning:

I have been contracting with my current client now for 2 and a half years and never had an issue. I've even had a rate increase and been told how important my work is to the client.

Recently a new PM has started on the project and has changed everything. He now books meetings outside the clients core hours and expects everyone to attend. Fair enough just suck it up.

In the last couple of weeks though he has been making comments behind my back about what time I get into the office. (Hourly paid not day rate) and as I've been hugely affected by the Northern Rail fiasco, he has even been questioning whether or not my trains are late or I'm just using this as an excuse for getting in at 9am. (Still within the clients core hours)

We work on 2 external client databases which one is the end customer and one is my client, last week there were IT issues with both and as such both systems were making it difficult to perform my daily role. This is partially down to said PM breaking one of the systems by removing code.

Now because of these my Integrity and Competence has been questioned and as a contractor that's never a good place to be, but is there anything that should be done.
    If contract is terminated because of issues that the client has caused or because of their poor management can anything be done legally?

I definately feel like there's a bit of defamation here against myself and my company and due to the circumstances of the project this could harm future prospects.

There's nothing you can do except start to look for other roles and walk

Comment

Twentyeight, the sense I get from your post is you've led a charmed existence for the past two-and-a-half years and suddenly you are confronted with the normal dyfunctional, incompetent, chaotic, threatening reality of UK IT in 2018. (I say 'IT' rather than 'contracting' because permies get the same thing only much worse - they stand no chance of being paid extra for coming in early/staying late whereas you stand a little bit of a chance). There's no harm in walking but (from my experience) it could well be out of the frying pan into the fire.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

PM who insists everyone attends his meetings? Run!
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Twentyeight Ltd View Post
          Morning:

I have been contracting with my current client now for 2 and a half years and never had an issue. I've even had a rate increase and been told how important my work is to the client.

Recently a new PM has started on the project and has changed everything. He now books meetings outside the clients core hours and expects everyone to attend. Fair enough just suck it up.

In the last couple of weeks though he has been making comments behind my back about what time I get into the office. (Hourly paid not day rate) and as I've been hugely affected by the Northern Rail fiasco, he has even been questioning whether or not my trains are late or I'm just using this as an excuse for getting in at 9am. (Still within the clients core hours)

We work on 2 external client databases which one is the end customer and one is my client, last week there were IT issues with both and as such both systems were making it difficult to perform my daily role. This is partially down to said PM breaking one of the systems by removing code.

Now because of these my Integrity and Competence has been questioned and as a contractor that's never a good place to be, but is there anything that should be done.
          If contract is terminated because of issues that the client has caused or because of their poor management can anything be done legally?

I definately feel like there's a bit of defamation here against myself and my company and due to the circumstances of the project this could harm future prospects.
          Hard to see what legal remedy you might have, although if you are booted off and really keen you could make a subject access request and then see if any grossly defamatory statements come to light. Not worth the bother IMO. I see your options as:

1. Find something better and walk. No shame in that.
          2. Hang on in there.
          3. Gently fight back. You can't do much about the train situation except get an earlier train, if possible and if you can be bothered. However, if the PM has broken a system by removing code, you could raise an issue. The PRINCE2 viewo n this is below and I imagine other PM methodologies are similar:

A project issue is a communication from anyone in the project or anyone with an interest in the project and it is sent directly to the project manager.
          An issue can be sent to any time during the project and it can be about anything, in particular it does not have to relate to change.
          The issue could say something like:

'X and Y databases have had limited availability between x date and y date, due to <insert causes, worded dependent on how combative you are feeling>, leading to an inability to start / progress / complete <insert list of tasks on the project schedule>'.

Next project team meeting, ask for an update on where the issue is logged,and how it's been managed, and for a revised work plan to get the project back on track. Should keep the PM out of mischief for a while.

Comment

If you have a good business relationship with his seniors and evidence of his feck up, then have a draft email ready to go at a suitable moment. Incompetence and other barriers to you being about to complete your contracted deliverables need highlighting. More to the point, if the new PM is a contractor, they need a slap and a reminder about what the differences between being a contractor and being a perm are.

Be careful about becoming part and parcel too - two and a half years and there's talk about them depending on you isn't great, unless you can get yourself referred to as "their favourite supplier" rather than being seen as part of the firm.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Leave - lifes too short to deal with bellends.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Leave - lifes too short to deal with bellends.
                You must clear out a client site pretty fast.

Comment

No, just ignore, let it wash over you, make sure you're diligent and ensure things are tested even if it takes longer, don't worry about bugs, in a court of law a bug in a piece of code as an accusation would be met with guffaws of laughter, as long as you showed due diligence on test cases and ensure QA procedures are adhered to.

Think to yourself what can they actually accuse you of, from your description it's nothing just vague accusations.

This happens all the time. In terms of preserving reputation the best way is to continue doggedly until your contract expires.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Have you (28) had a half hour chat with the PM to see what if anything is motivating him to change meets to outside of core hours and also what, if anything, is making him talk behind your back.

He may have real reasons for the calls, he may not. He may also be talking about everyone behind their backs.

Better to head this off between just the two of you rather involving the world and reacting irrationally. (I only say irrationally in case there are really some reasons for his actions)

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X