• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel advice for new contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
    I could be wrong but I believe that you are unable to claim the full 100% for a season ticket if the ticket allows travel on the weekends.
    I do remember some debate about this and the conclusion is that it is ok. I forget the nuances.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay69 View Post
      Thanks for all the input , train will be the way to go ! It's 50 mins direct route and I should be able to get a seat as I plan an early start probably 6.30 plus checking the route the train has only two stops prior to my station so better odds for a seat , not guaranteed I know but increases the odds.
      Not allowing delays it's 10 mins drive to station ( free parking in the back street nearby which has no yellow lines or parking zones ) 50 mins down on train and 6 mins walk to client.
      Good stuff. Don't forget to ask us how many sugars you want in your first coffee on site as well.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Good stuff. Don't forget to ask us how many sugars you want in your first coffee on site as well.
        Somebody had bad takings today and is scared to come home!

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
          I could be wrong but I believe that you are unable to claim the full 100% for a season ticket if the ticket allows travel on the weekends.
          HMRC will accept it if it’s the cheapest way for YourCo to pay for your travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Option 1. Don't kill yourself to make a bit back on the mileage rate. By the way, a 110 per week ticket should convert to less than 520 per month. You can usually slightly game the system by getting 'odd period' season ticket, so on Monday 25 June, instead of a one month card that will take you to Tuesday 24 July, get an odd period ticket to Friday 27 July. Then get a new one from Monday 30 July to Friday 31 August.
            an odd period ticket? I think I have missed a trick here?
            Is this available on all train lines? I currently take the Great Northern into London.

Comment

Originally posted by wparkar View Post
              an odd period ticket? I think I have missed a trick here?
              Is this available on all train lines? I currently take the Great Northern into London.
              Yes - it's not known about because it's not advertised but you can get any period you want provided its longer than a week. It was always an option but wasn't generally advertised as it meant a 2 minute transaction took 10 minutes as they worked out the charge.
              Last edited by madame SasGuru; 21 June 2018, 10:28.

Comment

You can use this link to see how much money you've wasted over the years:

Instant Season Ticket Calculator - National Rail Enquiries

Comment

Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
                  Yes - it's not known about because it's not advertised but you can get any period you want provided its longer than a week. It was always an option but wasn't generally advertised as it meant a 2 minute transaction took 10 minutes as they worked out the charge.
                  I think it is longer than a month. They don't want you getting a 12 day ticket, but you can get a 33 day ticket (5 weeks of Monday to Friday). I may have mis-remembered.

Handy as well when you have a holiday planned ahead so you can get a 43 day ticket before going on holiday for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I will ! But should I claim for that coffee or not ?

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay69 View Post
                      I will ! But should I claim for that coffee or not ?
                      No you don't need coffee to work.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X