• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Billing in Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Billing in Contract

Got my latest extension through and they have said there are some changes to reflect the new privacy policy. So I thought it would be a good time to actually read the new contract, there is one thing that surprises me:

The self-billee (Contractor) agrees:
    1. To accept invoices raised by the self-biller on their behalf until __/__/____ (insert either an end date for the agreement or the date your contract ends).
    2. Not to raise sales invoices for the transactions covered by this agreement
    3. To notify the customer immediately if they
    • Change their VAT registration number
    • • Cease to be VAT registered, or
    • • Sell their business or part of their business
    The "Not to raise sales invoices for the transactions covered by this agreement" has me wary, I use Freeagent so it creates an invoice for me. Might have to have a word with the pimp as to why they have added this.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Been answered before. Keep your own invoicing system just don't send a copy to the agency, and treat their invoice (which it isn't, but hey...) as a remittance advice.

And always check the two match.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Got my latest extension through and they have said there are some changes to reflect the new privacy policy. So I thought it would be a good time to actually read the new contract, there is one thing that surprises me:
      You put that in just to get a rise from me?

The "Not to raise sales invoices for the transactions covered by this agreement" has me wary, I use Freeagent so it creates an invoice for me. Might have to have a word with the pimp as to why they have added this.
      Nothing to worry about. It means against the agent. They are probably so incompetent if you send one in they'd pay it so they are asking you not to. You raising them in Freeagent is just to keep your books right, nothing to do with payment and the contract.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Been answered before. Keep your own invoicing system just don't send a copy to the agency, and treat their invoice (which it isn't, but hey...) as a remittance advice.

And always check the two match.
        That is what I have been doing, and will continue to do so, just struck me as curious that they make this an explicit clause in my contract.

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You put that in just to get a rise from me?
          Depends, are you going to see if I've asked my accountant?

Nothing to worry about. It means against the agent. They are probably so incompetent if you send one in they'd pay it so they are asking you not to. You raising them in Freeagent is just to keep your books right, nothing to do with payment and the contract.
          In all the realms of possibilities, I didn't even think they would need to protect against being so stupid they pay the same invoice twice, then I remembered we are dealing with agents!

Comment

Raising an invoice = creating an invoice and sending it.

Creating a dummy invoice in FreeAgent to correctly account for sales and not sending it - none of the agent's business.

Comment

Depends, are you going to see if I've asked my accountant?
              I know better and ain't falling for that one you little tinker. A search might have been in order but Mal beat me to it

In all the realms of possibilities, I didn't even think they would need to protect against being so stupid they pay the same invoice twice, then I remembered we are dealing with agents!
              Very true but you'd think their incompetence would stop short of giving their hard earned money away.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I know better and ain't falling for that one you little tinker. A search might have been in order but Mal beat me to it

Very true but you'd think their incompetence would stop short of giving their hard earned money away.
                As long as the agent gets his cut, he's not bothered about the agency itself.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've actually asked my accountant about this and I'm awaiting the reply on how to properly record self-bill invoices (using Xero in my case). I've been warned not to create my own invoice as this would represent a duplicate tax point:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/self-bil...illed-supplies

Obviously I need some kind of 'construct' within my accounting system to deal with the customer-raised bill, but don't wish to foul up my official record in any manner that could leave me exposed. Searching around it seems like these flashy online accounting packages don't have an official solution for it as the advice I'm seeing is all workarounds.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudcontractor View Post
                    I've actually asked my accountant about this and I'm awaiting the reply on how to properly record self-bill invoices (using Xero in my case). I've been warned not to create my own invoice as this would represent a duplicate tax point:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/self-bil...illed-supplies

Obviously I need some kind of 'construct' within my accounting system to deal with the customer-raised bill, but don't wish to foul up my official record in any manner that could leave me exposed. Searching around it seems like these flashy online accounting packages don't have an official solution for it as the advice I'm seeing is all workarounds.
                    Ah, so there are merits to the Dolan-Excel model after all?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X