• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommended online sites and Application Interview Hit Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueCloud View Post
    Thanks @WTFH for the advice, I have been doing this but in a more casual fashion.

Thanks @simes for the info, how do you know the CV gets to the end client ?

I am a little suspicious of agents and part of me thinks some of them don't actually have a relationship with the client at all and sometimes just want to fish for info/data mine and get you on their database.

Thanks again
    Well, fair point. Perhaps I should caveat that with a 'statement of belief' that I have got the CV past the agent and into the client. Once the CV is emailed, a follow up call to get the agent on the end of the phone, take him/her through the CV, convince him/her that I am a fit and a subsequent email that I am happy to be represented by them alone etc.

Thereafter, one is in lottery land.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCloud View Post
      There seem to be the option on some sites to select 'Direct Employer'- like on totaljobs and Linked in seem to have direct jobs advertised sometimes.
      I would seriously hope not.

Thanks @simes for the info, how do you know the CV gets to the end client ?
      You don't really. It's part of the game. It does appear to happen from time to time looking at the threads on here where agents have messed contractors about but it's something you just have to try manage
      I am a little suspicious of agents and part of me thinks some of them don't actually have a relationship with the client at all and sometimes just want to fish for info/data mine and get you on their database.

With the huge growth of number of agents around, I was wondering if there a list around of really reputable agents (or is that an oxymoron), maybe something you guys have compiled ?

Thanks again
      Reputable agency lists don't work. An agent wins the work to supply the client. It's not often multiple agencies get the same role. It does happen for Public Sector work where the same role appears multiple times I guess but on the whole it's often one agent for one client so you don't get a choice.

There is a thread about tricks agencies play. You just have to play them at their own game. Being a good contractor isn't just about being good at a client, it's about finding and securing the work which can be a bit of a minefield at times.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...eferences.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I would seriously hope not.

You don't really. It's part of the game. It does appear to happen from time to time looking at the threads on here where agents have messed contractors about but it's something you just have to try manage

Reputable agency lists don't work. An agent wins the work to supply the client. It's not often multiple agencies get the same role. It does happen for Public Sector work where the same role appears multiple times I guess but on the whole it's often one agent for one client so you don't get a choice.

There is a thread about tricks agencies play. You just have to play them at their own game. Being a good contractor isn't just about being good at a client, it's about finding and securing the work which can be a bit of a minefield at times.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...eferences.html
        It is in IB - internal agency get first dibs based on their candidate base (including previous contractors at that IB); if they've got nothing, it's released to the PSL (typically three agencies per IB and tech v business generally have three different agencies).

Once you get to know which banks have which agencies on their PSL, you know whether to entertain the call for long or not.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
        X