• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 month contract with BT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fidot View Post
    That's what crb checks are for.
    So, why do they want to see his bank statements?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Rubbish. You can have a B2B contract but vet the risk of the individual going on site.
      Garbage. You've never worked for one of the major consultancies have you? They don't produce their individual's bank statements when putting workers (employee or contractor) onto client site.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
        I'd say this is rubbish as well.

You worked in a bank and put yourself inside IR35 because you were asked to provide a personal bank statement to prove you weren't in jail when you were on the bench ? Really ?
        Your words, not mine.

You never produced bank statements for a gig? Well jolly well done you !

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          So, why do they want to see his bank statements?
          I literally have no idea why they would ask. That is my whole point. They don't prove anything anyway. If there is a requirement to check for a criminal record, CRB is a more comprehensive check, which is being performed anyway.

Comment

I literally have no idea why they would ask. That is my whole point.
            Exactly.
            So you're prepared to argue that anyone who suggests possible reasons is completely wrong, based on you having no idea.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by JozefBlofeld View Post
              Garbage. You've never worked for one of the major consultancies have you? They don't produce their individual's bank statements when putting workers (employee or contractor) onto client site.
              That is because they have a completely different legal framework around their engagement and that framework will take in to account the relevant risk factors of that engagement. I don't know the exact details but there will be all sorts of overarching legal agreements and due to the size of the companies involved some of that risk can be transferred or dealt with at a high level than individuals.

You simply cannot compare the risk approach of a large company bidding on fixed price work to a one man band that has zero notice and can close his company at the drop of a hat. They need different approaches and in a one man company it's going to be belt and braces which means assessing the risk of every person that walks through the door.

Claiming a client carrying out due diligence on an individual makes the B2B agreement a sham is ridiculous. The same individual is likely to have to go through H&S and IT policy processes when they get there. Does that make them employees as well?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Exactly.
                So you're prepared to argue that anyone who suggests possible reasons is completely wrong, based on you having no idea.
                No, I'm not disagreeing that they might be asking for this reason. I'm merely pointing out that it doesn't prove anything and that there is a better way (CRB) anyway.

Comment

I literally have no idea why they would ask. That is my whole point. They don't prove anything anyway. If there is a requirement to check for a criminal record, CRB is a more comprehensive check, which is being performed anyway.
                  Doesn't exist, so no use whatsoever.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

And 2 sets of checks have never overlapped when hiring someone into a contract have they ...

Comment

Originally posted by artdog View Post
                      Considering the number of sarcastic responses I have seen on other threads, this doesn't seem to be a good place to post questions. I will find another forum where the users are less interested in being trolls.
                      You get trolled because your post smells of entitlement. Contractors are used to standing on their own two feet. They have to cope with the whims and scummy behaviours of clients. It's permies and the underclass who always think someone else is tasked with sorting out problems.

Your original post didn't question the legality as much as pose the question "Can I use some law to stop them pushing me around yet still give me the job I want?"

As long as you adopt that permie attitude you will attract derision here, and quite likely elsewhere.
                      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X