• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not extending - how to discuss with clientco

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Then there are some clients who "assume" you're staying regardless. As if you're lucky to be working there. There winds me up a little. Fair play if you want me to stay at least say so but then ensure I'm happy with the deal as well.
    Ah yes. Those clients are really fun. I usually can't wait to get out of there quick enough as this attitude is indicative of far greater concerns, usually around SD&C.

I often can't help but raise a wry smile after informing the client that I'm not accepting an extension, then when they come over all incredulous, I politely remind them that they were always free to have offered me a 12 month contract instead of a 6 month one in the first place!

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
      My contract expires in a couple of weeks and I have led clientco to believe that I will extend while simultaneously pursuing opportunities elsewhere.
      One of those opportunities has borne fruit and I will be taking it. How do you recommend I approach the conversation with clientco? They will feel that I've let them down and not given them much opportunity to get someone else in. I think that the bridges may be irreparably burnt if not handled well.

Thanks,

HW.
      Tell them "I am not going to extend, I know this is not what you expected, but I'm taking this other offer."

Be a man.

If they play the guilt card, go for the I can help (paid) with calls and e-mails if need me for hand-over. Also will be willing to do the odd day to assist.

Comment

Working...
      X