agents fighting over a candidate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    136
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default agents fighting over a candidate

    Hi, I think it's already been discussed on here but it's the first time it's happened to me.

    Agent A approaches me with a role last week, he says okay I'll speak with the client, will show them your CV and I'll send over to you the job spec and the request for you to confirm you want to be represented by us for the role. Agent did NOT send either.

    Today I get approached by Agent B about the same role. He follows protocol: speaks to me about the role, sends over the spec and the sole representation email. I decided to be represented by Agent B.

    Now Agent A is pissed and has left me 3-4 voicemails saying since he got in touch with me first I should be represented by him and threatens to speak to the client about my "unprofessional" behaviour.

    Since I never gave written (or spoken) confirmation to Agent A, am I wrong thinking he's got no grounds to do anything, even if he approached me first?

  2. #2

    More fingers than teeth

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    16,077
    Thanks (Given)
    442
    Thanks (Received)
    154
    Likes (Given)
    261
    Likes (Received)
    1233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattZani View Post
    Hi, I think it's already been discussed on here but it's the first time it's happened to me.

    Agent A approaches me with a role last week, he says okay I'll speak with the client, will show them your CV and I'll send over to you the job spec and the request for you to confirm you want to be represented by us for the role. Agent did NOT send either.

    Today I get approached by Agent B about the same role. He follows protocol: speaks to me about the role, sends over the spec and the sole representation email. I decided to be represented by Agent B.

    Now Agent A is pissed and has left me 3-4 voicemails saying since he got in touch with me first I should be represented by him and threatens to speak to the client about my "unprofessional" behaviour.

    Since I never gave written (or spoken) confirmation to Agent A, am I wrong thinking he's got no grounds to do anything, even if he approached me first?
    Ignore him.
    Let's give our NHS the £350 million the EU takes every week.

    Vote Leave


    http://news.images.itv.com/image/fil...stream_img.jpg

  3. #3

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks (Given)
    33
    Thanks (Received)
    103
    Likes (Given)
    723
    Likes (Received)
    769

    Default

    Yes but I would also reply with where was the job spec and email asking for representation confirmation you promised, you sent neither so jog on.

  4. #4

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    136
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Yes but I would also reply with where was the job spec and email asking for representation confirmation you promised, you sent neither so jog on.
    Yeah, I actually just did that.

    I explained that while he didn't send me anything he had said he would, Agent B did everything by the book so there's nothing I can do now that I've given written consent to Agent B.

    Looking forward to the reply!!

  5. #5

    Fingers like lightning

    Whorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    549
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    56
    Likes (Given)
    860
    Likes (Received)
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattZani View Post
    Yeah, I actually just did that.

    I explained that while he didn't send me anything he had said he would, Agent B did everything by the book so there's nothing I can do now that I've given written consent to Agent B.

    Looking forward to the reply!!
    .... this. Keep it professional and factual. He was being lazy and has missed out and he's trying to bully you now he can see there might be some money in it
    I may not know Karate, but I know crazy and I'm not afraid to use it

  6. #6

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks (Given)
    33
    Thanks (Received)
    103
    Likes (Given)
    723
    Likes (Received)
    769

    Default

    Or reply with if he does not 'jog on' you will email his handler at the agency with details about why lost the exclusivity commitment due to his 'unprofessional' behaviour, am sure his boss would like to get that email (whats good for the goose and all that).

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    35,219
    Thanks (Given)
    152
    Thanks (Received)
    1612
    Likes (Given)
    1905
    Likes (Received)
    6508

    Default

    Just hope they don't start bothering the client who decides not to see you at all to avoid the situation.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  8. #8

    Super poster

    fullyautomatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gaul
    Posts
    4,313
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    82
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    362

    Default

    No doubt he was pursuing another cheaper candidate for the role.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

  9. #9

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    298
    Thanks (Given)
    12
    Thanks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Given)
    150
    Likes (Received)
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Just hope they don't start bothering the client who decides not to see you at all to avoid the situation.
    This is the most important thing IMO.

    If the agent is annoyed there’s a good chance he will drop the client a line or a short email.

    Most clients won’t want to be involved in this squabbling even if there’s not a big fuss from the agent they’ll likely just bin your cv.

    Therefore just be as nice as you can.

  10. #10
    sal
    sal is offline

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,527
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    59
    Likes (Given)
    378
    Likes (Received)
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Just hope they don't start bothering the client who decides not to see you at all to avoid the situation.
    To mitigate this you might want to explain the situation to Agent B, who can eventually "defend" you.

    I have been in similar situation twice and mentioned to Agent B during the initial phone call, that some plonker already called about the role couple of days ago, but failed to request rights of representation, so Agent B can double check whether my CV is already with the client by any chance. In one case my CV was already with ClientCo, but upon explanation by Agent B, ClientCo was happy to go with Agent B. In the other Agent A didn't even bother, likely just trying to "eliminate" the competition. In both cases I got an interview.

    Seems that you have handled the situation in a professional manner, so nothing to worry about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.