• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agents fighting over a candidate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uk contractor
    replied
    Ignore the agent making all the noise if they make a fuss with the end client then they will get blackballed so its all hot air!

Leave a comment:

• MattZani
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Did you put it in writing?

Agents hate things in writing when there's a possibility they are in the wrong. Much prefer the sales-patter approach of vaguely talking about things.

I know what you mean. I do the same: I prefer things in writing when they benefit me but would rather leave things vague when I'm not 100% in the right haha.

In this case, I summarised the situation and sent it in writing to both agents.

Anyways, updates on the situation:

- agent B (the good one) said he explained the situation to the client and asked if I would be okay with the client call me in case they wanted me to clear out the confusion. I agreed but I'm not expecting any calls.

- agent A confirmed he has withdrawn my application and wished me luck. I replied apologising for the misunderstanding (even if he screwed up) and said hopefully we can work together in the future.

So yeah, I think I managed to keep it pretty classy and civilised. Now let's just hope the client hasn't already binned my CV

Thanks for all the replies and good advice. Really appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Just hope they don't start bothering the client who decides not to see you at all to avoid the situation.
    Happened to me and cost a perm offer years ago

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by MattZani View Post
    Yeah, I actually just did that.

I explained that while he didn't send me anything he had said he would, Agent B did everything by the book so there's nothing I can do now that I've given written consent to Agent B.

Looking forward to the reply!!
    Did you put it in writing?

Agents hate things in writing when there's a possibility they are in the wrong. Much prefer the sales-patter approach of vaguely talking about things.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    To mitigate this you might want to explain the situation to Agent B, who can eventually "defend" you.

I have been in similar situation twice and mentioned to Agent B during the initial phone call, that some plonker already called about the role couple of days ago, but failed to request rights of representation, so Agent B can double check whether my CV is already with the client by any chance. In one case my CV was already with ClientCo, but upon explanation by Agent B, ClientCo was happy to go with Agent B. In the other Agent A didn't even bother, likely just trying to "eliminate" the competition. In both cases I got an interview.

Seems that you have handled the situation in a professional manner, so nothing to worry about.
    Unfortunately I've also been in more or less the same situation and i got turned down by the client in the car park before the interview because the agents were giving him grief. I'm sure I got unlucky and more often than not it can be worked out as you say.

I'm just wary now and avoidance of the situation is the best defense.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 16 May 2018, 11:58.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Just hope they don't start bothering the client who decides not to see you at all to avoid the situation.
    To mitigate this you might want to explain the situation to Agent B, who can eventually "defend" you.

I have been in similar situation twice and mentioned to Agent B during the initial phone call, that some plonker already called about the role couple of days ago, but failed to request rights of representation, so Agent B can double check whether my CV is already with the client by any chance. In one case my CV was already with ClientCo, but upon explanation by Agent B, ClientCo was happy to go with Agent B. In the other Agent A didn't even bother, likely just trying to "eliminate" the competition. In both cases I got an interview.

Seems that you have handled the situation in a professional manner, so nothing to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    This is the most important thing IMO.

If the agent is annoyed there’s a good chance he will drop the client a line or a short email.

Most clients won’t want to be involved in this squabbling even if there’s not a big fuss from the agent they’ll likely just bin your cv.

Therefore just be as nice as you can.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    No doubt he was pursuing another cheaper candidate for the role.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Or reply with if he does not 'jog on' you will email his handler at the agency with details about why lost the exclusivity commitment due to his 'unprofessional' behaviour, am sure his boss would like to get that email (whats good for the goose and all that).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X