• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potential client wants me to work longer hours than I want

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had an initial meeting with a client where without me asking, he started going on about expecting contractors to work more than 9 to 5. He supposedly works 7:30 to 5 and seemed to be suggesting that I should do something similar.

I'm not happy about this level of control, and the contract is not closely tied to a particular project as well, more of a BAU type of thing. And he seems like a person I don't want to spend much time with anyway.

In a few minutes, the agent will be calling for feedback and I'd like some pointers on what to say. I might consider doing the contract if I could raise my daily rate by £25 or so to compensate for the longer hours, but I can't figure out how to word that without sounding like a prima Donna.

Otherwise, maybe I should leave it and tell the agent that the working conditions seem overly controlling and there is too much direction.

I've got a war chest and can keep looking if needed.

As always with these things it depends on how desperate you are for work but that said...*alarm bells*.

Today it’s dictating your working hours, what’s tomorrow?

As somebody who recently took on a project against his instincts as I was desperate for work, my advice would be go with your gut on this one.

Comment

You don't need the work and this one is ringing alarm bells - walk away.

Or change from a day rate to an hourly one and see how many hours a day they want you to work.

Comment

How to word it? My PWDs should average 8 hours over the duration of the contract, I am willing to be flexible within reason however as a small business I don’t do unpaid work. May I suggest tracking deliverables?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          As always with these things it depends on how desperate you are for work but that said...*alarm bells*.

Today it’s dictating your working hours, what’s tomorrow?

As somebody who recently took on a project against his instincts as I was desperate for work, my advice would be go with your gut on this one.
          ^^^This
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks for the replies, you guys are right. I'm not desperate enough yet and I'm sure something better will come along.

Any suggested wording to the agent or should I just assume he's not ever going to send me out again? I feel a little bit bad because everything was pretty much as the agent described, he just left out the overly controlling bit.

Comment

"The client wants me there 9 1/2 hours every day. I don't work that way. It just wouldn't be a good fit and neither of us would be happy."

And quietly, not in writing, "And a word in your ear, he seemed a bit of a control freak. Maybe I got it wrong, and maybe other guys will be willing to take it on, but I think you'll find there will be some others who would walk away, too. But the big thing is the hours."

Agent shouldn't have a problem with you not wanting to work long hours, and he'd rather you walk away now than a month from now.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                "The client wants me there 9 1/2 hours every day. I don't work that way. It just wouldn't be a good fit and neither of us would be happy."

And quietly, not in writing, "And a word in your ear, he seemed a bit of a control freak. Maybe I got it wrong, and maybe other guys will be willing to take it on, but I think you'll find there will be some others who would walk away, too. But the big thing is the hours."

Agent shouldn't have a problem with you not wanting to work long hours, and he'd rather you walk away now than a month from now.
                Great suggestion. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                  Thanks for the replies, you guys are right. I'm not desperate enough yet and I'm sure something better will come along.

Any suggested wording to the agent or should I just assume he's not ever going to send me out again? I feel a little bit bad because everything was pretty much as the agent described, he just left out the overly controlling bit.
                  The agent will contract you again if they have another role that would suit you as they want to make money.

In regards to this particular client - just don't be surprised if you are approached by a different agent in the future for the same client. If so just politely say "Thanks but no thanks" giving a polite reason and only go into slightly more but polite detail if they push.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I would accept the role, show off my expert skills but work only for 8 hours. Because

1. Contract states only 8 hours (what was conveyed to you was verbal, doesn't stick)
                    2. If the client wants to replace you, they will have to go through the entire hiring process which is tiring and takes longer with many bigger clients.
                    3. Even if the client is happy to go through (2.), I get paid until they find a replacement and I wouldn't show this in my CV.

Comment

Working...
                    X