• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GDPR - are you getting emails from recruitment agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been getting spammed with these email every hour............it's enough

Comment

I reckon 80% of the GDPR emails are from companies that I have never heard of let alone registered with.

Comment

Got about 30 emails this last week or so from agencies but I am ignoring the lot & the constant requests to re-register. If they want you bad enough they will call you regardless anyway! That is the collective agency mindset. Rules, laws & commonsense do not ever apply unless its in their interests!

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
          Interesting to see how GDPR is interpreted differently between agencies and in general.
          Getting so many emails - mix of re-consent , here is an updated privacy policy, competitions to re-consent and some no contact. My understanding is that if data is collected correctly in the first place and legitimate interest no need for re-consent. And if they are a relevant company then why wouldn't I engage for more. Are you getting many emails?
          Most of them have NOT obtained my details correctly or with my consent however. I am happily binning their emails without even opening them.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            This.

The market for commercially harvested and sold contact lists is going to vanish after GDPR comes into effect. In order for it to work anyone buying a mailing list has to get evidence from the seller that everyone on that list has explicitly consented to being contacted by the buyer. This is never going to work in practice and I've had several "lively" discussions with marketing managers about it.

You can distribute marketing material under the banner of "Legitimate Interests" but you have to conduct an assessment of whether your legitimate interests as a business carry more weight that the privacy expectations of the subjects. In essence, if they would not reasonably expect you to contact them, then you can't and if you do and they complain to the ICO you may find yourself on the wrong end of an ICO investigation.

So, if you have had dealings with an agency in the past to discuss a role or put forward for one, then they can reasonable expect you not to be unhappy if they contact you in the future, and you should not be that surprised if they do, unless you have told them otherwise. If they've never had contact with you before then spamming you without warning is a no-no.
            I will be replying with 'Please remove me from your mailing list' after the 25th, and them hitting them when they inevitably don't comply with this request.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              I will be replying with 'Please remove me from your mailing list' after the 25th, and them hitting them when they inevitably don't comply with this request.
              I won’t be saying anything. Then DSARing the arse off any that annoy me.

1st DSAR is reserved for Vodafone though.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

what I find truly amazing is (not just rec agencies) but how many emails I have had today and yesterday.
                there is going to be late nights and a flurry tonight I feel.

Can someone tell them they dont actually need to send an email.

lastminute.com

Comment

And some of them just don't get it at all.

GDPR: Tech firms struggle with EU's new privacy rules - BBC News

Several tech firms have opted to block EU residents from using their services because of concerns they are not compliant with a shake-up to the 28-nation bloc's data privacy laws.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ignore any GDPR emails from Brussels Slumdog as they are fake.

Comment

I've fired my first SAR today at a recruitment agency who emailed me about "catching up". The information they held states that they've acquired my data through Monster - for which I've never registered. Should I consider reporting them to the ICO? Tempted just to give them some payback

Comment

Working...
                      X