• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment Banking to Civil Service... thoughts welcome

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment Banking to Civil Service... thoughts welcome

Hi All,

Bit of history then the actual question:

Having spent 2 decades in banking (particularly in Investment Banking) and part of it contracting, I have now got to a stage in life where there is a little bit of me thinking that there might be more to life than 12hr working days plus Sunday night and after dinner late working.

Simply put, I think I have to be honest with myself and say that the idea of becoming even more senior (which I am being encouraged to go for after a very positive 2017) and taking on even more responsibility on my shoulders vs amount of more cash that will go to buy more stuff I don't really need considering what my wife and I have already achieved is not getting me excited in the slightest.

Appreciate I shouldn't moan, lots of people in terrible job situations out there, no money etc etc but lets be crystal clear here - I'm not Mr public school boy and worked my way up from a fairly low level a while back.

I'm dabbling with the idea of selling the London house (gone up stupid amounts since purchase many a moon ago) and buying what I can only describe as my "dream house" somewhere west of England. Our London money can buy places that are beyond what I thought was ever possible. That's what happens when you live too long within the M25 and Heathrow airport without time for anything else!

I get a smile on my face just writing about the dream house. Then look down at my desk lunch in my office and the huge high pressure workload and the smile disappears.

Question:
    Anyway, the question to you guys here who have contracted in the Civil Service before (sorry but I don't know anyone in the Civil Service and only half trust what is said online. Will take whatever you guys say with a pinch of salt too!)

In general
    - What is it really like?
    - Is it as slow pace as everyone makes out? Can't be that bad?
    - Are programmes and projects that convoluted over there?
    - I want to make a difference, could I in the Civil Service? Am I being a bit fanciful with this idea?
    - West England rather than London, issues?
    - Will there be issues because of my IB past?
    - permie or contract? Would they hate IB man trying to muscle into CS?
    - Anything else you can all think of

PS My thinking is to "demote myself", ie take a mid manager Civil Service job which allows me far more free time in the dream house / family / friends etc. Ideally in programme and project environment.

Thanks

My opinion after doing a short amount of time in the public sector. Probably wont help but....

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
    Hi All,
    In general
    - What is it really like? Not bad
    - Is it as slow pace as everyone makes out? Can't be that bad? Completely depends on the dept and project my current project is a good pace imo
    - Are programmes and projects that convoluted over there? As above - some are some aren't - its tough to know unless you have someone inside to ask on that particular project
    - I want to make a difference, could I in the Civil Service? Probably not Am I being a bit fanciful with this idea? Yes
    - West England rather than London, issues? Not sure theres much in the west of England. You probably want a commuting distance to London/Manchester/Leeds/Birmingham - However almost every civil servant i work with works from home a fair bit
    - Will there be issues because of my IB past? I don't think so - we've got people in from all backgrounds
    - permie or contract? Contract Would they hate IB man trying to muscle into CS? Probably depends on the project but i don't think any more than the private sect
    - Anything else you can all think of Consider IR35

PS My thinking is to "demote myself", ie take a mid manager Civil Service job which allows me far more free time in the dream house / family / friends etc. Ideally in programme and project environment.

Thanks

Comment

All the MOD procurement and a fair chunk off defence and aerospace are out here in The West country, as well as several major departments just over the bridge or down the peninsula. Plus several associated suppliers and research companies. And a few banks if you're that way inclined

London is not the world, or even a desirable part of it.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        All the MOD procurement and a fair chunk off defence and aerospace are out here in The West country, as well as several major departments just over the bridge or down the peninsula. Plus several associated suppliers and research companies. And a few banks if you're that way inclined

London is not the world, or even a desirable part of it.
        Fight fight fight fight fight!

Agreed, will be interesting to see if we end up doing the move. My wife wants us to.

Would certainly be life changing, what do people do all night when they get home all the time before 9pm and are able to stay home beyond 630am in the morning!?!

Comment

Agreed, will be interesting to see if we end up doing the move. My wife wants us to.

Would certainly be life changing, what do people do all night when they get home all the time before 9pm and are able to stay home beyond 630am in the morning!?!
          Enjoy life properly. We moved from the smoke many years ago. After a month or two slowing down from the London frenzy it's the best thing we ever did. And the countryside is stunning.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You take up a hobby. [emoji1]

Ideally something that gets you outside and gets you fit but allows you to meet people so you can have a drink or three with them.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm with Mr Buttons on this, I currently contract for MoJ on the £1 Billion "Reform" program as a Senior PM and it's fairly hectic.
              Lots more Governance to slow you down but once you have crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's it gets pretty frenetic on a 9-5 basis... no evenings / weekends but busy days.
              Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

I've been on two. First one was pretty good. Not how I envisaged PS to be. Did another and it was the worst gig I've ever been on. It was the epitome of everything bad I've heard about PS. 6 weeks in and still hadn't done a bean of work. Couldn't stand it so left.

I'd take a gig if I was on the bench and it suited me but I'd be happier never to go near PS ever again.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I used to work permie in what is now the DWP \ ITSA before I went contracting. I was mid manager HEO level.

The CS is very officious. Lots of annual reporting and feedback. They stick (or rather my Department did) to PRINCE framework. It works well but produces lots of paper and lots of meetings. I cant say things took an inordinate length of time.

You were micro managed by the grade above because they wanted to get promoted and they did that by showing they stuck to the procedures. It is not for everyone.

That said, I got a very good inflation proofed pension out of them which I am now enjoying.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You take up a hobby. [emoji1]

Ideally something that gets you outside and gets you fit but allows you to meet people so you can have a drink or three with them.

Does walking around the house in my underpants / vest while drinking beer, eating a dominos and playing video games count as a hobby?

I have a feeling that initially this will be my hobby for the first few days, switching off totally and deciding thereafter once I take in a bit of me time.

Then transition into some proper country side hobbies but staying away from the ones not suited to my “city boy” life (which is where I lived and worked all my life).

eg no shooting and fox hunting, but woodworking and vehicle maintenance a possibility

Comment

Working...
                    X