• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency not happy with my linkedin status

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency not happy with my linkedin status

Agency that forwarded me for a contract and confirmed a phone interview with the end client, told me they want me to remove my message that I'm immediately available for new contracts from LinkedIn or else they will withdraw my application. WTF? Told them I'm not doing that and go ahead withdrawing me if they don't like it. I also told them, I will contact the person who is planned to interview me directly if they actually do it.

When's the interview?

If it is tomorrow, remove it, have the interview, tell the client you are actually available very clearly during the interview then put it back. Also make sure you follow up directly with the client after the interview telling them how great they are and how you want to work for them.

The agency are silly.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      When's the interview?

If it is tomorrow, remove it, have the interview, tell the client you are actually available very clearly during the interview then put it back. Also make sure you follow up directly with the client after the interview telling them how great they are and how you want to work for them.

The agency are silly.
      WSS

You need to learn better how to deal with silly people.

Comment

I did a gig with a mini consultancy that actively pulled contractors up for having availability type messages on their linkedin. That was for contractors that changed it mid gig though.

I think the agency are acting like dicks to impose this on you even before interview. Totally goes against the mantra that we have nothing until we are sitting at the clients desk. The number of times agencies screw contractors over and leave them hanging as well. Bit rich to be asking this.

I'd definitely go with SE's suggestion.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I did a gig with a mini consultancy that actively pulled contractors up for having availability type messages on their linkedin. That was for contractors that changed it mid gig though.

I think the agency are acting like dicks to impose this on you even before interview. Totally goes against the mantra that we have nothing until we are sitting at the clients desk. The number of times agencies screw contractors over and leave them hanging as well. Bit rich to be asking this.

I'd definitely go with SE's suggestion.
          A contractor colleague of mine updated his status to 'Actively considering my options' a couple of months ago. I was the only one who noticed so I left him to it and he's moved on now. Did strike me as somewhat passive aggressive.

Comment

Nope tell them in no uncertain terms that they have no right to tell you or your business what you can or cannot do and who you can or cannot trade with.

You need to make sure these shiny suited del boy type pricks understand they do not own you, they have no hold over you and they really need to understand what a B2B relationship is.

Comment

Play ball for long enough for them to have checked, then change it back as and when you have more leverage
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Nope tell them in no uncertain terms that they have no right to tell you or your business what you can or cannot do and who you can or cannot trade with.

You need to make sure these shiny suited del boy type pricks understand they do not own you, they have no hold over you and they really need to understand what a B2B relationship is.
                They have the right (I suppose) to choose whether or not to do business with the OP's Ltd. Seems silly to pass up on an opportunity for such a minor short-term concession.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  They have the right (I suppose) to choose whether or not to do business with the OP's Ltd. Seems silly to pass up on an opportunity for such a minor short-term concession.
                  Yep.

Silly people deserve you to be as silly as them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

I've mentioned before the agent who insisted I had to ask them to have a day off and kept on and on whenever I didn't. I told him if it was squared with client then its a done deal but out of courtesy I'd be happy to copy them in.

I still used to sort two weeks off with client, all sorted, done deal, forward to agent and he'd reply back "yes thats ok I can authorise that". Pointless arguing in the end because he liked his bit of power. And I knew if he said "no I wont authorise" it would have made no odds at all anyway.

Same with being ill. I'll let client know but agency dont really need to know I'm not going be at client by 10am. (1 day sickie in 5 years mind - was in hospital with a*se problems!)

Point being, I'd do what SE said though, take it off then put it back on. Keep him happy for no big hassle.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X