• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Code Challenges: is becoming the normal trend nowdays?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flavios View Post
    I applied for a position in Adidas, after a brief interview they handed this code challenge (attached in quote) which, from my point of view, it seems really too time consuming and relatively massive for a senior position...

I mean ...come on, thats no longer a "code" challenge ...these guys are requiring to design and implement a full architecture

What do you think about this?
    Ask them if, when they hire a plumber to fix a leaking pipe, they get him to re-plumb the loos next to reception for free first so he can prove to the client that he knows what he's doing.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      Ask them if, when they hire a plumber to fix a leaking pipe, they get him to re-plumb the loos next to reception for free first so he can prove to the client that he knows what he's doing.
      Or tell 'em to sod off, and look for another gig

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        Or both

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
          if you want me to do a tech test on your premisis during an interview process thats fine
          Yep, about the only way I'd entertain such bollox.

If they can't fit it into a typical interview window of say 1 hour then they are taking the piss (getting interviewees to do the actual project as part of the recruitment process, so for free), or are giving you an insight of what they would expect (i.e. the moon on a stick) if you actually started a contract/job with them.

If it's for a permie position then they probably think they're judges on Britain's Got Talent so expect multi-stage interviews where the interview process is the hardest you'll ever work at the place.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Some people have pointed out that such tests are discriminatory as only people with no responsiblies and no life have time to do them.
            maybe that is the objective : to filter out people with no life

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              I haven't done any coding since Commodore 64 days, but I believe the correct response to such a challenge is:

10 PRINT "Sod off."
              20 GOTO 10

Comment

No way would I spend that much time on a code test for the potential of another interview
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

This problem arises because the people doing the interviewing are being guided by finance.

As finance do not understand IT (as much as they would try and tell you they do) they will insist that someone proves they can do the job before they offer it - however as they do not understand IT or coding talking about it is pointless, these people simple do not have the basic grounding or education to even start the conversation.

The way I see it is like this - I have not spent the last 25 years studying for and going experience and qualifications in finance related things so I will not try and tell the FD how to do his or her job.

In much the same way I have spent the last 25 years studying and gaining experience and qualifications in tech related things and so I would not expect a bean counter to tell me how to do my job...

and yet they seem to think they can.

Comment

They try this because some mugs are actually prepared to do it to get the interview and job..

Comment

That is ridiculous, id tell them where to go.

Theyll be doing it because they have a real lack of skill in actually interviewing anyone.

Just plain lazy on their part id say.

Comment

Working...
                      X