• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Code Challenges: is becoming the normal trend nowdays?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code Challenges: is becoming the normal trend nowdays?

I applied for a position in Adidas, after a brief interview they handed this code challenge (attached in quote) which, from my point of view, it seems really too time consuming and relatively massive for a senior position...

CODING CHALLENGE

• Following the basic architecture principles :
    • ARCHITECT SOLUTIONS IN A WAY THAT MAKES THEM RE-USABLE .
    • COMPONENTS ARE DESIGNED TO SCALE BASED ON INCOMING LOAD.
    • ALWAYS CARE ABOUT DATA & IT SECURITY
    • DESIGN FOR FAILURE– YOUR SOLUTION HAS TO ASSUME AND HANDLE EXCEPTION CONDITIONS
    • We want to create a service that given an origin city will return a list of itineraries , one based in the less number of
    connections and the second based in the less time. For that you will have to implement a couple of microservices :
    • Implement an API in order to expose the data related with a city defined with : city, destiny city, departure time, arrival time,
    stored in a data base . You can choose it .
    • Implement a Restful service that will consume the previus API in order to calculate the sortest way( in time and in
    connections ) to travel from one city to another , independent of the departure time .
    • Using the Java framework of your choice (ideally use Spring Boot) and Java8.

WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU

• Implement this application following a microservice approach .
    • Run each microservice in a different docker container linking them with any docker technology.
    • Create a README.md explaining how to build/run/use the app naming every framework/library you use and state
    what it does andwhy you used it.
    • Every person having Java and some standard tools (Ant, Maven, Gradle) should be able to check out the code,
    build and run the app locally.
    • Provide API documentation , API Bluprint , swagger or similar
    • Please use english as documentation language.
    • BONUS 1 : Secure your API
    • BONUS 2 : Implement the solution using Spring Cloud.
    • BONUS 3 : Create a slide explaining your pipeline proposal for the application.
    • When you're done check in your solution into any public GIT repo hoster (github, bitbucket, etc.) and send us the
    link and any other documentation you want.
    I mean ...come on, thats no longer a "code" challenge ...these guys are requiring to design and implement a full architecture

What do you think about this?

Yeah that’s quite a lot of work for a coding test. Especially for a contract role!

I would only do it if this was the only lead I had and was on the bench for a while. Or I really really wanted the gig.

Maybe go back and quote them to complete this.

Also worth pointing out their spelling and grammar issues in the requirements.

They want you to check it into a public repo. lol. (When hiring I used to specifically ask people not to) Have a look if you can find others attempts in the public domain.

Comment

Originally posted by flavios View Post
      I
      A fecking joke.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

About three solid days work if you know how to set up docker containers.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
          Yeah that’s quite a lot of work for a coding test. Especially for a contract role!

I would only do it if this was the only lead I had and was on the bench for a while. Or I really really wanted the gig.

Maybe go back and quote them to complete this.

Also worth pointing out their spelling and grammar issues in the requirements.

They want you to check it into a public repo. lol. (When hiring I used to specifically ask people not to) Have a look if you can find others attempts in the public domain.
          This.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            A fecking joke.
            What they said.

Comment

That's taking the ****

Walk away and find another gig - I even baulk at a face to face interview these days, I just CBA and there's no need for it. Telephone interview and then an offer. Job done.

TBH, I wouldn't do a task like that even for a permie gig.

Ridiculous.

Do what thou wilt

Comment

Yeah send an invoice for a weeks work at your day rate.

Remember you are interviewing them as well. Perhaps send them an interview question to design your company website.

Comment

Originally posted by flavios View Post
                  I applied for a position in Adidas, after a brief interview they handed this code challenge (attached in quote) which, from my point of view, it seems really too time consuming and relatively massive for a senior position...

I mean ...come on, thats no longer a "code" challenge ...these guys are requiring to design and implement a full architecture

If I had applied for this role directly with the client I would politely decline.
                  If I applied for it via an agent I would impolitely decline.

Back when I was a permie I had an interview then a tech test - the tech test was to take away a copy of their test data and build a front end for it over the weekend ready to present back to them in a second tech interview on the monday.

I did it because I wanted the job but that was many years ago, my personal time is much more valuable to me now - if you want me to do a tech test on your premisis during an interview process thats fine - but I'm not doing homework.

Comment

Some people have pointed out that such tests are discriminatory as only people with no responsiblies and no life have time to do them.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X