• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We want you to go perm... Maybe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much more to add to the above. Why did you go contracting? Why did you give up permie work (assuming you've not always been contract)? What attracts you to going permanent, or what's worrying you about contracting that is pushing you towards it?

Comment

Decision made.... I can't go back perm. If they cut the contract short then so be it. I'm too much in the contractor mindset to give a shot about politics, processes and people. Thanks for the advice all who commented

Comment

Originally posted by ckms View Post
        Decision made.... I can't go back perm. If they cut the contract short then so be it. I'm too much in the contractor mindset to give a shot about politics, processes and people. Thanks for the advice all who commented
        You wouldn't have had to ask if you really were.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The fact i did ask is good for you though cos if I didn't you wouldn't have had the chance to comment. If people didn't ask questions on forums there would be no forums and you'd have to find something else to do. So actually I've done you a favour. Have a great day

Comment

The fact i did ask is good for you though cos if I didn't you wouldn't have had the chance to comment. If people didn't ask questions on forums there would be no forums and you'd have to find something else to do. So actually I've done you a favour. Have a great day
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

My 2p: Pretty much every contractor I know who goes perm goes back to contracting within a year. This includes me.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
                I recommend you look at the organisation's appraisal process. Can you cope with 360 degree reviews, competency frameworks, development plans, forced ranking, working on your non-existent 'weaknesses', being assessed against the company's core values...and all that jazz?
                I'm contracting at a large organisation right now and have recently seen the torments that people have been through. I couldn't do it; I just couldn't.
                Part of the reason I became a contractor was because I was being promoted, and promotion means managing people. So not only did I have to sit through this crap with my line manager, I actually had to sit down and do this to my direct reports. I could feel the life draining from my body every day.

Comment

What did your accountant say?

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Ooh I do like your style

I’ve gone contract to perm twice for clients for a formal promotion and to get the job title officially for a rate rise when going back to contracting.

But yeah - 360s etc etc..absolutely
                    Last edited by SillyPerson; 27 April 2018, 04:17.

Comment

Oh DearTM

I've just been offered the amazing opportunity to go permie, or to offer them a big 'cost improvement'

Options, options.

Comment

Working...
                      X