• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We want you to go perm... Maybe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We want you to go perm... Maybe?

6 contracts in 4 years and the current client says the role is about to be advertised as perm; 4 weeks after signing a 6 month extension. Now I know the gig is only as long as the notice period but I'm keen to hear from similar contractors who having finally settled into the contractor mindset find themselves being encouraged to apply for the role full time.

Salary sounds ok but it's not a given I'd even get it. I wasn't thinking about ever going perm here as it's more of a project that in my eyes has 5 months to run. Part of me thinks go for it as could end up benched for a while. I have a good warchest and I like the idea of these people not being my actual colleagues.

Anyone had a similar situation and gone for it with a successful outcome or otherwise? In the words of that woman off Neighbours... I'm torn!

Time for you to weigh up pros/cons then, and make a decision which works best for you?
    Clarity is everything

Comment

I recommend you look at the organisation's appraisal process. Can you cope with 360 degree reviews, competency frameworks, development plans, forced ranking, working on your non-existent 'weaknesses', being assessed against the company's core values...and all that jazz?
      I'm contracting at a large organisation right now and have recently seen the torments that people have been through. I couldn't do it; I just couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
        I recommend you look at the organisation's appraisal process. Can you cope with 360 degree reviews, competency frameworks, development plans, forced ranking, working on your non-existent 'weaknesses', being assessed against the company's core values...and all that jazz?
        I'm contracting at a large organisation right now and have recently seen the torments that people have been through. I couldn't do it; I just couldn't.
        WHWS - +1 on that
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Now that's good advice

Comment

#1 reason I started contracting.

And the thought of going back to that.......

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
              Time for you to weigh up pros/cons then, and make a decision which works best for you?
              Absolutely this. Not sure what else there is to say.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 24 April 2018, 17:00.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You know you've been here too long when you see the lifecycle of contracting reset and all the same old questions come out from new blood.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                  WHWS - +1 on that
                  +1 again

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    You know you've been here too long when you see the lifecycle of contracting reset and all the same old questions come out from new blood.
                    Plus ca change............................................ .......

Comment

Working...
                    X