• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Timesheet signing .. or lack of

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timesheet signing .. or lack of

My agency uses an online portal for timesheets. Manager has been okish signing them, normally 2 weeks late. Now, I'm 5 timesheets behind (combination of him being on holiday etc). Despite verbal reminder and several chaser emails.

It's not difficult, login, click a couple of buttons.... Still no signing.

I have the agency chasing me to get the timesheets to be signed as well (I assume they want their money)

What else can I say or do?

To complicate things, I'm potentially leaving in 2 weeks, just waiting on the new contract to be signed. I'm worried if they're still not signed and I leave he wont' sign them.

Sit next to him and ask him to sign them and don't move until he does?

Book a meeting and get him to do it while you are with him in the meeting?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Sit next to him and ask him to sign them and don't move until he does?

^^WNLUKS.

For the final month of my last contract I insisted on a manually signed weekly timesheet to stop any potential funny business before the end of the contract.

If they're playing silly beggars regarding clicking a link against a portal, it's a lot harder to ignore if the physical timesheet is in front of them.

Your contract should allow for raising of a manual invoice or the agency should allow manual invoices - check with them.

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
      My agency uses an online portal for timesheets. Manager has been okish signing them, normally 2 weeks late. Now, I'm 5 timesheets behind (combination of him being on holiday etc). Despite verbal reminder and several chaser emails.

I have the agency chasing me to get the timesheets to be signed as well (I assume they want their money)

To complicate things, I'm potentially leaving in 2 weeks, just waiting on the new contract to be signed. I'm worried if they're still not signed and I leave he wont' sign them.
      Never, ever, allow things to get to this stage, whether you think you're being accommodating or not. This is your business and livelihood you're pussyfooting around the issue with. Grow a pair and get them to sign anything outstanding or be prepared to walk.

Comment

Dito the above - timesheets are often your only way of getting your invoices paid. I have previously refused to work because a manager was so rubbish at signing timesheets. They just didn't twig that it was directly linked to me getting paid until they had a little re-education. It's a bit of nuclear option but sometimes it's necessary if more diplomatic channels have failed.

Comment

Problem is the manager has been lax for a while (or always) so can't just rely on the normal level of pressure to get this sorted.

For such a backlog you need to bring it to a head face to face. You could say the agency are pestering you as you are in potential breach of contract by not getting them approved to the agreed schedule (whether this is true or not).

For timesheet systems (rather than signed paper) I usually ensure my 'handler' has set up an alternative signee for when they are on holidays, so if they are off sick or start getting lax I can get someone else to sign them.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Some agencies such as those under the Adecco group will not pay if your invoices are submitted 8 weeks late irrespective whether they are hard copies or self billing. The first rule is do not let unactioned timesheets by the client get to this stage. Some client managers use this as a tool to 'manage' contractors and just be an arsehole. Do not let it happen.

That said when i was working at Yorkshire Electricity at Seacroft years ago, one contractor had over 3 months worth of signed timesheets in his drawer. Said 'you never hear of agencies going bust so no rush.' Ho hum.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
              Some agencies such as those under the Adecco group will not pay if your invoices are submitted 8 weeks late irrespective whether they are hard copies or self billing.
              Really? I'd like to see that in court!
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                Some agencies such as those under the Adecco group will not pay if your invoices are submitted 8 weeks late irrespective whether they are hard copies or self billing. The first rule is do not let unactioned timesheets by the client get to this stage. Some client managers use this as a tool to 'manage' contractors and just be an arsehole. Do not let it happen.

That said when i was working at Yorkshire Electricity at Seacroft years ago, one contractor had over 3 months worth of signed timesheets in his drawer. Said 'you never hear of agencies going bust so no rush.' Ho hum.
                I had an agent who told the client that if they didn't sign timesheets on time then all the contractors would be withdrawn.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post

I get pretty serious if a timesheet is signed a few days late. I'd be having kittens if I were 5 weeks behind. Of course, I wouldn't have been at the client site for four weeks by that point.

I've seen contractors terminated and clients argue about whether certain days really were spent on the project etc. Best to avoid that.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I'd go with this; book a room, send him a meeting invite, discuss, resolve.
                    Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
                    X