• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning to contracting after a 3 year absence.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to contracting after a 3 year absence.

Good morning from a long term lurker.

Due to health reasons I had to take three years off following a 20+ year contracting career. I was able to do some adhoc consultancy, in total about 6 months during that period.

I have managed to keep my technical knowledge current, and have been maintaining my skills in my home lab. I participate in many industry forums and my name is still known in my arena to some extent.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in returning to contracting after an extended break for health reasons. My family feel that taking a pemenant job might be more sensible, however I am a contractor at heart and to be honest I need to replenish my finances, which would take too long as a permit.

Any advice, and I am expecting this to be quite tough, would be appreciated. My concerns are:
    • Explaining the career gap.
    • Changes in the culture of contacting.
    • Being left with a disability that may create predjudice at interview.
    • A general lack of self confidence. This is the big one.

An interesting question, about which I have no hard experience.

However, the phrase that stuck out, which might have to be tested, was, 'I'm a contractor at heart'. What does that really mean to you? And when you have decided upon the definition, what will you do to manifest and demonstrate that?

In answering your question, I am sure my response will bring forth some high and mighty responses. But, it is only your resolve that will be tested when sifting through the advice and options.

•Explaining the career gap.
    Do you really believe that an honest explanation will put you at a disadvantage? Have you seen any evidence with other people similarly affected and thus disadvantaged? I ask as we are / one is lead to believe that career gaps should be easily explained, and thus believed. One is also lead to believe that with contracting, gaps are a given if one wants to disappear for a bit, travelling for example. Push to shove, I think you are asking yourself, or the community, whether you should fill the gap with some fabrications? Right? For me, the CV is a marketing document. So if you feel there would be a disadvantage (and only you can decide that) fill the gaps, get the time-line referenced and you can be on your way. If found in a lie however, you're stuffed. And so, how far are you prepared to go to cover the gap? Or, will you chance it, test the honest waters, and be up front?

•Changes in the culture of contacting.
    I am not sure I have seen any changes in three years. Especially if you've read the forums, the news, and kept technically up to date.

•Being left with a disability that may create prejudice at interview.
    Slightly referencing the top bullet, one is lead to believe there is permitted no prejudice in respect of age, gender or disability. If yours is visible, you're just going to have to get on with it. Don't be sorry for it. If you feel there will be any perceived disadvantage, go in with solutions to their deemed problems.

•A general lack of self confidence. This is the big one.
    This one references the 'contractor at heart' point. As a contractor, you're just going to have to be confident. No two ways about it. If the essence of a contractor is to get in there and hit grounds running, then you are just going to have to chuck yourself into the deep end. Indeed, many deep ends. I am sure you really do understand this.

So, decide on your approach, get the story straight, sound upbeat and confident, don't apologise, talk to everyone and demand an audience through interview. And in time, you will find your feet and strengths. But hiding behind a fear, no matter how traumatically founded, is not going to get you to the top.

I wish you luck.

Comment

I agree with all of the above. The biggest problem you will face is persuading the agency drone that gets your CV that you are worth considering when he has 100 other CVs from active contractors and no skills or ability to judge which one can actually do the job. Can your network get you an introduction and bypass the agency nonsense?

But you won't know if you don't try. Good luck and hope it works out.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        However, the phrase that stuck out, which might have to be tested, was, 'I'm a contractor at heart'. What does that really mean to you? And when you have decided upon the definition, what will you do to manifest and demonstrate that?
        He doesn't want to be permie and likes to get gigs, turn up, deliver and leave. Rinse and repeat.
        Do you really believe that an honest explanation will put you at a disadvantage? Have you seen any evidence with other people similarly affected and thus disadvantaged? I ask as we are / one is lead to believe that career gaps should be easily explained, and thus believed. One is also lead to believe that with contracting, gaps are a given if one wants to disappear for a bit, travelling for example. Push to shove, I think you are asking yourself, or the community, whether you should fill the gap with some fabrications? Right? For me, the CV is a marketing document. So if you feel there would be a disadvantage (and only you can decide that) fill the gaps, get the time-line referenced and you can be on your way. If found in a lie however, you're stuffed. And so, how far are you prepared to go to cover the gap? Or, will you chance it, test the honest waters, and be up front?
        Of course it will put him at a disadvantage. The first hurdle he has to jump to get a gig is a load of keyword searching agents. Said agent has a pile of CV's, one of which will make him a lot of money. He's going to pick the guy that hasn't had a gig in 3 years? Will he buggery. 3 years since you worked last is a huge problem for a contractor unless the OP is very very niche. He's likely to be a couple of versions behind whatever he worked on last, a whole methodology, new tech or whatever area he works in. You wouldn't get someone to do some work in your house that hasn't done that skill for 3 years so why would a client want to pay top dollar for it.

OP might have kept his skills up but not at the scale he'll probably need at a client and can't demonstrate he's kept it up with solid gigs. He's going to have a massively hard time getting passed an agent let alone a client. There are a lot of very skilled and up to date people on the bench.

If I was OP I'd be looking at perm roles as well. It's going to take a massive dose of luck to get over a 3 year gap.

•Changes in the culture of contacting.
        I am not sure I have seen any changes in three years. Especially if you've read the forums, the news, and kept technically up to date.
        Well the public sector has completely changed in that time for a start.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OP sorry to hear something happened to you health wise.

Unfortunately in the time since you last worked there has been a massive change in the IT contracting industry & many IT jobs have either gone away or been filled by the lowest possible rate candidate wise . This is mainly due to globalisation, onshoring, offshoring, lack of Tier2 Visa protection for UK born IT workers which has created a massive bench full of highly capable & qualified IT contractors.

That alone more than anything else will be your biggest barrier to returning to IT contracting the competition is now many times more than it was 3 years ago. Unless you have a really in demand niche skillset its going to be a massive struggle to even get into an entry level position as the UK is flooded with imported IT workers all willing to do almost every role they can for minimum wage. This has pushed rates for many roles down to historically low levels but even then the competition is just excessive (750 CV's within a few hours of most support, BA, PM roles in London for instance).

If I were you I would look for perm or part time only roles for now & specifically charities, public sector, NHS or local government as they do not discriminate against any disability.

Good luck but its going to be tough so be realistic its not really you either. Its just the way globalisation has really caught up rapidly to the UK IT contracting world which has displaced many UK born IT workers creating a scenario whereby most employers & recruitment agencies are very fussy as they know of this oversupply so they can be very selective & only hire someone who ticks all or most of the ideal boxes they want ticking!

Comment

I was out of the contracting market for just over three years with a little dabble in the permie market, coming back was a nightmare with agencies treating my CV like it was plagued because I had no run-on from another contract. To many of the teenie-bopper agents, if you're not coming from another contract then that's one of their instant-reject criteria. Some jobs, I could have written the spec based on my career history and it wouldn't get through agents when I knew they had it in front of them.

The way through it is to brutally exploit your contacts, everyone you know (and remember to return the favour when you can), and leave your pride at the door. That's how I got the work I'm in now and three other bits of consultancy work from when I was made redundant last August.

Tie that in with tailored, professional gizzajob letters and you'll cover many of the ways in that don't need an agency. Remember to never close the permie door if you've got bills to pay.

Finally, never discount low-end work, even if it doesn't meet your bills. Having half the money you need might be enough to stop the wolves from the door, especially if you make an effort with debts in things like an IVA.

Comment

I have some direct experience, although not quite the same as yours. And let me say at the start, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, and glad you're in the position where you're expecting to be able to work full time again.

Long story short: I had a 12 year long permie career as a project and programme manager, put my hand up for redundancy, took a year off (conscious decision) and then went contracting. I had 4 years of contracting - different clients, all contracts gained through contacts apart from one random approach from a recruiter on LinkedIn. Then I completed a contract and made a conscious decision to take a few months off. Towards the start of that time I had a seizure. I'd had a history of epilepsy as a teenager but no seizures and no medication for over 20 years, so I thought it was a thing of the past.

The planned 'few months off' became 8 months because I had to go through the tests, not insignificantly surrender my driving licence, go on meds and generally, without boring you, adjust to my new situation. The next contract I got, I got via being referred by a friend. A uni friend who I'd never worked with but happened to work in a closely associated industry to where all my background is. Frankly I was grateful for the interview at the time, and didn't expect to get it - but they offered me on the spot and it turned out to be a great contract. The point is, it was referral from a friend that got me the interview.

I don't think 8 months is anywhere near as tricky as 3 years, but I think the principle is the same. Network the hell out of your friends and former colleagues and be flexible in what role you are willing to take up. If you have ot go for a lower rate than you 'should' be able to command for this contract, then do it. And I don't mean take a lower rate accepting discrimination due to your disability (of course) - I mean take a low rate because anyone who's been out of the market for 3 years for whatever reason might well have to.

Understand if you don't want to discuss your disability on here but think carefully about how to address it at interview based on how obvious it is (or is not). My disability is totally hidden (well, assuming I didn't have a seizure in the interview :-O that would've been interesting..) and I decided I would volunteer nothing in the interview because frankly, why put them in the situation where they had to make the 'right and fair' choice not to discriminate? If your disability is obvious, then I think more and more you should be networking old contacts to get work.

As a recruiting manager - and obviously as a programme manager I have always been a recruiting manager as well as a candidate - I will overlook / put up with a lot in people who I know are a 'sure thing' in terms of their skills and reliability. But unfortunately the whole point of contractors is to get people who are the perfect match for the role, can hit the ground running and need as little oversight as possible (I appreciate it doesn't always work out this way but that's the aim). So anything that makes you look like you don't fit that profile isn't going to help.

Please note: I am certainly not condoning any kind of disability discrimination and I have on many occasions made reasonable adjustments for employees or contractors with health conditions or disabilities. I'm just emphasising what the market is like!

Whatever condition/ disability you have, if you haven't look already, look at the website for whatever society/ association there is, as they may have good advice on return to work. Appreciate given the 'level' at which you're operating, some of it may not apply to you, but some of it will.

Once you've had your first contract and proved to yourself and at least one client that you're able to do it still, I think it'll be easier from then on in.

Really - the very best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                Agencies get a ton of applications. They need ways to cut the list down. Large gaps is a prime candidate for this regardless of reason.

OP - work, work, work your network. Speak to old clients/colleagues. Those may be an easy route into your first contract after your break.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Legs View Post
                  Good morning from a long term lurker.

Due to health reasons I had to take three years off following a 20+ year contracting career. I was able to do some adhoc consultancy, in total about 6 months during that period.

I have managed to keep my technical knowledge current, and have been maintaining my skills in my home lab. I participate in many industry forums and my name is still known in my arena to some extent.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in returning to contracting after an extended break for health reasons. My family feel that taking a pemenant job might be more sensible, however I am a contractor at heart and to be honest I need to replenish my finances, which would take too long as a permit.

Any advice, and I am expecting this to be quite tough, would be appreciated. My concerns are:
                  • Explaining the career gap.
                  • Changes in the culture of contacting.
                  • Being left with a disability that may create predjudice at interview.
                  • A general lack of self confidence. This is the big one.
                  Have a good read of this below. This is exactly why you will find it tough getting back in the saddle again.

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  OP sorry to hear something happened to you health wise.

Unfortunately in the time since you last worked there has been a massive change in the IT contracting industry & many IT jobs have either gone away or been filled by the lowest possible rate candidate wise . This is mainly due to globalisation, onshoring, offshoring, lack of Tier2 Visa protection for UK born IT workers which has created a massive bench full of highly capable & qualified IT contractors.

That alone more than anything else will be your biggest barrier to returning to IT contracting the competition is now many times more than it was 3 years ago. Unless you have a really in demand niche skillset its going to be a massive struggle to even get into an entry level position as the UK is flooded with imported IT workers all willing to do almost every role they can for minimum wage. This has pushed rates for many roles down to historically low levels but even then the competition is just excessive (750 CV's within a few hours of most support, BA, PM roles in London for instance).

If I were you I would look for perm or part time only roles for now & specifically charities, public sector, NHS or local government as they do not discriminate against any disability.

Good luck but its going to be tough so be realistic its not really you either. Its just the way globalisation has really caught up rapidly to the UK IT contracting world which has displaced many UK born IT workers creating a scenario whereby most employers & recruitment agencies are very fussy as they know of this oversupply so they can be very selective & only hire someone who ticks all or most of the ideal boxes they want ticking!

Comment

I had something similar, all be it 11 years ago. I had spent over a year abroad in Spain, doing something none IT related. When I came back I applied for everything, and ended up taking a low paid 1 month contract, just to get some recent experience on my CV, then ended up in a bank for a year just before the crash.

I'm a front end developer, so not sure how relevant this is to you. But like you I had kept my skills up to date, and the industry wasn't changing quite as quickly as it is today. But might be one way to go?

Comment

Working...
                    X