• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blacklisted/Blackballed/Defamation What to do next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PermieToContractorAndBack View Post
    So if you earn and the lifestyle works for you then more power to your elbow but you are also most likely in the minority.
    No, if you earn and the lifestyle works for you then you are a contractor. You're not in the minority, you're someone who has chosen this lifestyle.

If you don't like the lifestyle, then don't be a contractor. It's not discrimination, no one forces someone to be an "IT contractor in a niche area"

Not everyone is cut out to be a contractor.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I have a big pile of Ironing

£40 if you do a good job + Reference

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        No, if you earn and the lifestyle works for you then you are a contractor. You're not in the minority, you're someone who has chosen this lifestyle.

If you don't like the lifestyle, then don't be a contractor. It's not discrimination, no one forces someone to be an "IT contractor in a niche area"

Not everyone is cut out to be a contractor.
        I think you've completely missed my point.

Comment

...If it's found that you are withholding some because you don't think it's relevant, then it will not go well for you...
          Just ask the police.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by PermieToContractorAndBack View Post
            I think you've completely missed my point.
            Your point was that the majority of contractors are abused and would prefer to get out of contracting but they don't and only a tiny minority of contractors do it by choice.

You compared contracting to women in abusive relationships. That is insulting to women who are in abusive relationships.

I read what you wrote and found it offensive to abused women and showing a lack of knowledge as to why people choose to stay contracting for years/decades.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Your point was that the majority of contractors are abused and would prefer to get out of contracting but they don't and only a tiny minority of contractors do it by choice.

You compared contracting to women in abusive relationships. That is insulting to women who are in abusive relationships.

I read what you wrote and found it offensive to abused women and showing a lack of knowledge as to why people choose to stay contracting for years/decades.
              My post was response to this:

" Be honest: when you've needed to add a person to your team and some permie is in the frame only for the client to say "Look - just get a contractor", don't you want to go down the pub and celebrate?

Every time?"

And the answer is 'No' because companies largely pick resources (whether permie or contractor) based on what works for them financially and not really with much consideration for anything else. Multinationals today pay less corporation tax than they did before the financial crisis.

I didn't say 'majority of contractors' because clearly not everyone posts here so that wouldn't apply. I referred to reading some threads and it's true, some people seem to take pride in being treated badly because they think "it's business".

It's business if you allow it and the reason why the workplace is more civil nowdays is because permanent staff have been fighting employers pretty hard. Contractors benefit from this.

Abusive relationships are often not violent but it takes two to tango: one person who takes advantage and the other who tolerates the "difficult guy".

I'm sorry if this offends you but not everyone views contractors as heroes, everyone is just resource and with the average wage in the UK at around £25-£26K, pretty poorly paid resource too.
              Last edited by PermieToContractorAndBack; 4 April 2018, 13:36. Reason: put "difficult guy" in inverted commas, it's not my expression.

Comment

Permiedom on the other hand...
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I remember reading a sort of a blacklist at a bank client. Basically an unprotected excel spreadsheet made by client for the agency listing contractors who would be renewed/who were a pain and ones that had refused a rate cut.

To the OP, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

qh
                  Last edited by quackhandle; 4 April 2018, 14:33.
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by boredfromsurrey View Post
                    HTH? What should I do go away and start a family? I am over 50, Female, No kids, Very rare skills and new skills gained in the last six years. Sorry but my last permanent role was in the 90's your get a job comment does not hang together. My skills were good enough before but they are not good enough now?
                    Could you tell us what your skills are, and what kinds of roles you are going for and what your rate expectations are?

I think you also mentioned briefly above something about sex discrimination .... did you bring a case and win/lose and you think this is why you have been blacklisted?

I've been hiring contractors for 2 decades and given some of the tulip I get sent to me to be interviewed I can't believe there is any kind of blacklist. As previously mentioned, agents will pimp their worst enemy if it gets them a commission.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                      I remember reading a sort of a blacklist at a bank client. Basically an unprotected excel spreadsheet made by client for the agency listing contractors who would be reviewed/who were a pain and ones that had refused a rate cut.

To the OP, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

qh
                      Please send me a copy of this spreadsheet so I can see if I'm on it!!!! If you don't, then I'm calling the police, if that doesn't work I'm going to hire a private investigator.

<<Sobs>>

<<Phones the ICO>>

Comment

Working...
                      X