• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Struggling To Get Contract Role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saffie8511 View Post
    My network isnt extensive, I've reached out to a few people who said they'd have a look but were busy and never got back to me.

I always feel a little awkward approaching people but may soon have to
    Have you got a detailed LinkedIn profile? Make sure that it's up to date and that it shows that you are looking for contract work. Make sure you update it and it will spam your network for you to let people know you're looking. Make your contacts private and connect to agents and potential clients as well so that your status appears in their feed and they know you are looking.

Comment

Update your CV on the jobs boards, fill out your LinkedIn profile, connect with agents, post a looking for contracts status, many agents will like or tag colleagues in.

Comment

You've been looking for 6 months and nothing has turned up, and you aren't even getting interviews, you now need to start looking at permie as well as contract roles.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Perhaps the OP could read one of my earlier posts in reply to a very similar question...

You need to understand what you're selling. All your permie soft skills and future potential aren't worth batsh*t in a contractor marketplace. If your CV doesn't say you have already done what they are after and demonstrates you did it successfully by yourself, you won't be considered.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            You need to understand what you're selling. All your permie soft skills and future potential aren't worth batsh*t in a contractor marketplace. If your CV doesn't say you have already done what they are after and demonstrates you did it successfully by yourself, you won't be considered.
            Importance of soft skills depends on the line of work. And most would benefit from better soft skills, even if you're a programmer working remotely.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
              Importance of soft skills depends on the line of work. And most would benefit from better soft skills, even if you're a programmer working remotely.
              Yes, clearly you need the ability to communicate and not upset your co-workers, that applies to anyone anywhere. And any kind of consultant/PM/team lead role means you have to have demonstrable managerial experience at some level.

But beyond that, you can omit from the CV all the HR-friendly stuff like good team player, willing to go the extra mile, blah-di-blah. You have to put the focus on your ability to deliver what the client wants, on time and error free.

That said, you can also leave all that soft content for the interview. The contractor's CV is to get you to that point, nothing else.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                You've been looking for 6 months and nothing has turned up, and you aren't even getting interviews, you now need to start looking at permie as well as contract roles.
                I'd have been looking at both from the start if I was a redundant permie to be honest.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  I'd have been looking at both from the start if I was a redundant permie to be honest.
                  I think most of us would. Perm mindset is different though they assume as they kept the job for XYZ years & got an easy bonus just for turning up....

When they hear of Contractors earning big bucks for doing very little they assume its that easy & do not usually consider perhaps the contractors were inflating rates & or had an ulterior motive to make them quit their job so they could do it or get their best friend in! (and yes I have seen it happen many times!).

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    I think most of us would. Perm mindset is different though they assume as they kept the job for XYZ years & got an easy bonus just for turning up....

When they hear of Contractors earning big bucks for doing very little they assume its that easy & do not usually consider perhaps the contractors were inflating rates & or had an ulterior motive to make them quit their job so they could do it or get their best friend in! (and yes I have seen it happen many times!).
                    Or simply that contractors have to earn more for the bench weeks/months.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Or simply that contractors have to earn more for the bench weeks/months.
                      Yup those 3 weeks (over xmas) since 1999 almost put me under

Comment

Working...
                      X