• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ClientCo offers 90k to go permie. What is the equivalent day rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t think telling the client (employer lolz) that you’re flexible on your rate is the best negotiating technique.

You believe that you are a seasoned contractor with a wealth of experience and you know your market.

Might be true but for someone with 20 years experience I wouldn’t expect questions like these.

Best to spend some hours reading the forum and the IPSE guides and you can learn a thing or two.

Comment

Originally posted by SillyPerson View Post
      Agree re taking the salary for your situation but for me it doesn’t work. Certainly job security is something I’ve always almost feared (in a way). I prefer the illusion that I’m running my own business. (I’ve twice had companies when I hired staff and sold products rather than just consultancy and the stress was a killer. Went back to disguised permie).
      Ok. I AM running my own business, for me it isn't an illusion, and I'm not a disguised permie. My advice was based on the uncertainties ahead, but if you like that, that's fine.

I'm pretty sure the analysis I gave above is roughly the way to analyse it. The numbers for things like benefits, etc, will vary. But if the numbers I used are right, they are currently paying you a "flexibility" premium of more than 0 and less than £50 / day to be flexible and not have the security of permiedom, probably right around £25.

Sounds like they don't need to pay you for that, you want it. You might even pay to get it, accept a slightly reduced rate to have it. So maybe £500 pd is the right number in your case, as far as figuring out what is roughly equivalent to £90K / year. My guess is that if you go back to them and say, "To me, a £90K permanent position is roughly equivalent to £500 pd, but I'd rather be a contractor and have the £500 pd," they'd be happy with that.

Do you really like this place enough that you are willing to take a £50pd cut for them? If so, go for it. If you don't want the perm spot, and you don't want to take a rate cut, then it really doesn't matter what the equivalent day rate is. If you do want to stay there enough to take a rate cut, it still doesn't matter what the equivalent day rate is. Go back to them and tell them how big of a cut you are willing to take, and let them decide.

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
        I don’t think telling the client (employer lolz) that you’re flexible on your rate is the best negotiating technique.

You believe that you are a seasoned contractor with a wealth of experience and you know your market.

Might be true but for someone with 20 years experience I wouldn’t expect questions like these.

Best to spend some hours reading the forum and the IP

SE guides and you can learn a thing or two.
        Flexible on rate because I love working there and after 20 years contracting I can afford the luxury of flexibility. Don’t bother questioning my experience it’s really pointless implying I’m a liar in a public forum where it can’t be proved either way

Comment

Flexible on rate because I love working there and after 20 years contracting I can afford the luxury of flexibility. Don’t bother questioning my experience it’s really pointless implying I’m a liar in a public forum where it can’t be proved either way
          I’m not questioning the length (in time) of your experience.

Comment

I need to ask for a rate rise.....

Comment

I disagree. I was recently contacted on behalf of the Home Office for a contract within IR35 and therefore on £800. It was within easy commuting distance of home. Not the death of contracting at all.
              So why consider going perm if your rate is so high contracting, and the market you're working in is so buoyant that you're having options like this thrown at you? Doesn't sound to me like the perm role would keep you happy very long - less money, more politics .... hmmm .... stay contracting my friend
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                So why consider going perm if your rate is so high contracting, and the market you're working in is so buoyant that you're having options like this thrown at you? Doesn't sound to me like the perm role would keep you happy very long - less money, more politics .... hmmm .... stay contracting my friend
                I’m not considering perm. I was looking to get assistance on the calculation to persuade my FD to sign me on for another year or longer on contract rather than make me find a permie replacement. I don’t do perm. Never have and (now) never will have to.

Comment

I’m not considering perm. I was looking to get assistance on the calculation to persuade my FD to sign me on for another year or longer on contract rather than make me find a permie replacement. I don’t do perm. Never have and (now) never will have to.
                  Ahhh! I think that point was actually lost on us ppl.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                    Ahhh! I think that point was actually lost on us ppl.
                    My fault then, sorry - should’ve explained it better

Comment

Surely - if your client would like you to work for them as an employee, to do exactly the same things as you are doing now... Doesn't that prove disguised employment and therefore IR35 status?

Or are they offering you a completely new role where you suddenly become supervised, directed and controlled as well as all that mutuality nonsense in a way you currently aren't?
                      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                      X