• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

public sector role-forced into IR35 -How does it work ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

public sector role-forced into IR35 -How does it work ?

Hi,
    Been approached for my first public sector role and according to agency its deemed "inside IR35".

How will this work practically-will i be forced into an umbrella company ? im not happy as ive been self employed for
    12 years but ce la vie !

Thanks

A.

We have an entire sub forum dedicated to exactly this...

https://forums.contractoruk.com/public-sector-ir35/

A quick play on Google will find you endless guides and information as well.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aloha1 View Post
      Hi,
      Been approached for my first public sector role and according to agency its deemed "inside IR35".

How will this work practically-will i be forced into an umbrella company ? im not happy as ive been self employed for
      12 years but ce la vie !

Thanks

A.
      As a self employed person you are not forced to take any contract if you don't like the terms and conditions.

Comment

Hi,

12 years but ce la vie !

Thanks

A.
        Aloha1
        Still gathering requirements...

Pleased to see that you've kept up to date on things since joining this forum 12 years ago...
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Hi,

12 years but ce la vie !

Thanks

A.
          You will effectively be taxed at source. Some agencies are insisting you work through their preferred umbrella solution and will not permit you to use your limited co. So then the decision is do you accept this and work through their brolly or turn down the role.

That's how it works.

Comment

expenses

Forget about expenses also

Comment

So in a nutshell it sounds pretty cr@p. thanks for the comments.

Comment

But do your own research of course.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

1. No expenses.
                  2. Everything will go through as tax inc employers NI first up.
                  3. You don't have to go umbrella but is easier (I did try to stay limited but too much hassle).
                  4. Find an umbrella that lets you do employer pension contribs (better to stick £200 a week into pension rather than have £102 in hand).

Take it on its merits based on the above, but as general rule of thumb if expenses are costly its going to be a big hit. Even with minimal expenses you probably need 35% more than a non-IR35 role.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Take it on its merits based on your circumstances and bottom line cash in your pocket...
                    Why be concerned about your "status"?

For me, with current gig......

Advantages:-
                    1. Its local so expenses not a big issue.
                    2. Its 35% more than last gig so take home is pretty much the same.
                    3. I have no IR35 worries.

Drawbacks are:-
                    1. I had to go umbrella but its just a small bit of hassle.
                    2. If I go back to non-IR35 I've got to start up company again.

Of course, if it was 200 miles, costing me £200 a week in hotels, paid at normal rate (which I had to pay all tax on), I'd avoid completely unless I was really desperate.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X