• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Easter furlough at ClientCo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane View Post
    I've just been notified that ClientCo intend to impose a 2 week Easter furlough on all contractors. I understand furloughs are common around Christmas, but this is new. It's a good thing they pay well for the local market.

Does anybody else have experience of non-Christmas furloughs?
    And the problem is?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Some companies have summer furlongs.

I had one once

The problem with your Easter furlong is that Easter is early this year so it is probably going to be cold.
      Unless you're spending it in Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
        I was just looking to establish if the concept of an "Easter furlough" (or a furlough at any other non-Christmas time of year) was an emerging trend and something to watch out for. It feels a bit like it might be emerging as a more contemporary incarnation of the "take it or leave it" mid-contract rate cuts that were commonplace 7-8 years ago.

You can stand down now.
        That's almost exactly what it is. Tell them your rate is +10% at renewal.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
          And the problem is?
          Two ways to look at it ... Start networking hard for a start after the Easter break, if you get something that looks better than what you have, give notice and move on. If not, and you are harbouring a grudge then keep trying to go. Other than that enjoy your time off and keep billing after Easter - Welcome to Contracting

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            He is just a little hoarse.
            I know that Cheltenham has furlongs, and they don't pony up...
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              I know that Cheltenham has furlongs, and they don't pony up...
              You should have seen the mess when the old man decided he wanted a stable income.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                You should have seen the mess when the old man decided he wanted a stable income.
                You're just horsing around with us now.

Comment

When I worked at Imperial College, they shut down over Easter but that was everyone not just contractors. They used the time for maintenance that couldn't be done with grubby students etc on site.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                    That's almost exactly what it is. Tell them your rate is +10% at renewal.
                    It's sometimes difficult to tell if people on this board are taking the p*ss.

Thankfully they pay well above market rate for the local area so I don't feel compelled to make any demands on the money side of things. I'd be pretty narked off if my current rate was broadly in line with market though.

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    Welcome to Contracting
                    Thanks, but I've been doing this for just short of 11 years! There's no doubt that it's getting harder in recent years though, both in terms of the quality of competition and the amount of nonsense like this furlough business.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
                      Two ways to look at it ... Start networking hard for a start after the Easter break, if you get something that looks better than what you have, give notice and move on. If not, and you are harbouring a grudge then keep trying to go. Other than that enjoy your time off and keep billing after Easter - Welcome to Contracting
                      Precisely.

Comment

Working...
                      X