• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No I dont want to become PERMANENT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Do you recheck your situation to see if you've got IR35 issues now it's become apparent your filling a full time role?
    Lost count of the times I've asked my plumber to become permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
      Lost count of the times I've asked my plumber to become permanent.
      I didn't expect much when I saw you replied but you've excelled yourself there. You could have put 12 random words together and still come out with something more useful than that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I didn't expect much when I saw you replied but you've excelled yourself there. You could have put 12 random words together and still come out with something more useful than that.
        I'm surprised you didn't like my response to your post, considering it was backing up yours. I'm saying I agree with your view of one having to review their IR35 status when asked to go permanent by a client, as one cannot imagine a plumber becoming a permanent fixture in a household.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
          I'm surprised you didn't like my response to your post, considering it was backing up yours. I'm saying I agree with your view of one having to review their IR35 status when asked to go permanent by a client, as one cannot imagine a plumber becoming a permanent fixture in a household.
          In that case I apologise but it's not the best analogy. There is a need for a permanent plumber in the OPs case.

Comment

thank you all for the advice, I'll just push till end of my assignment and then do a runner

Comment

Originally posted by aj4u View Post
              What is a nice/straight way of telling/shutting these guys up so they don't ask me to go permanent for the remainder 7 ish months I have left here? That is if I make it till the end of my assignment?
              I don't know whether you are a professional or not, and whether you are a businessman or not. But at 500pd you are being paid like one.

A professional would thank them for the offer. A businessman would want to protect the relationship, since it is lucrative.

You could be working for 250pd with people who hate you. It's a pity your psyche is so weak that you can't handle the fact they'd really like you to stay. They aren't sexually harassing you, they aren't asking you to deliver pizza. It's a compliment, not an insult. They think you do good work.

By the time the contract is up, maybe IR35 will have become so nasty or the contract market will have dried up, and you'll want to renew or even take that perm job. Suck it up, smile, say, "I really, really appreciate the way you are making me feel valued here. I have personal reasons for wanting to keep my flexibility right now. But what I think I should do is wait until a month or two before my contract ends. If you still want to make me an offer then, let's sit down and talk it over."

That's the way a professional and a businessman would handle it.

If they are asking you to sleep with the boss's wife, and she's a nasty piece of work, that's an insult. Wanting you to come work for them as an employee is not.

Comment

Contracting away from home is my get out of jail free excuse when they start the 'how about going permie?' comments. Easy to say no and it's readily accepted when you don't fancy relocating hundreds of miles due to family commitments.

Other angle is to go down the 'might be interested' route to see how the figures of their opening offer adds up and then see how far they're willing to raise the offer, in the meantime getting contract renewals as they try to reel you in. Then at the end say sorry they're gonna need a bigger boat.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Over the years I've had many offers to go perm. Usually range from client being nice thinking you really would like a perm role, through to them trying it on to save money, all the way to threatening saying this will be your last renewal then.

Its just a case of politely declining. I always get around it by saying its not the money I like contracting.

Had one guy at client once though who was a cracking fella - one of the managers. He went out of his way to try and sort it out for me to go perm - he just didnt understand how contracting worked. It was as if he felt sorry for me being "temporary".
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Over the years I've had many offers to go perm. Usually range from client being nice thinking you really would like a perm role, through to them trying it on to save money, all the way to threatening saying this will be your last renewal then.
                    That's because you're a BAU monkey so only fill perm roles.
                    Its just a case of politely declining. I always get around it by saying its not the money I like contracting.
                    Says the guy who sells his principles and dignity for £75 a week.
                    Its just a case of politely declining. I always get around it by saying its not the money I like permatracting.
                    FTFY
                    Had one guy at client once though who was a cracking fella - one of the managers. He went out of his way to try and sort it out for me to go perm - he just didnt understand how contracting worked. It was as if he felt sorry for me being "temporary".
                    I feel sorry for you for being a temp as well. One day you might become a contractor.

Comment

That's because you're a BAU monkey so only fill perm roles.

Says the guy who sells his principles and dignity for £75 a week.
                      FTFY

I feel sorry for you for being a temp as well. One day you might become a contractor.
                      Ha ha very funny NLUK..... To be fair you're post is entertaining this time if only because its so funny that you've convinced yourself of these "facts".

"Principles and dignity" for £75 a week? Assume you mean claiming JSA? Its not that bad. Have you ever been in a jobcentre?

However, "handies" around the back of the jobcentre for £10 a toss might be crossing that line - oops what did I admit to? ;-)
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X