• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which option ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Option 2 gather as much money as possible.

Consulting almost always means longer hours they expect to harvest you soul in return for the job & salary they provide!

Comment

Originally posted by Winterdiva View Post
      @northernladuk

Ok, let me reframe the question

If you were in my place, which option would YOU choose?
      Personally I'd choose to bring up my own kid instead of palming him/her off onto grandparents or day care. I really don't see this modern way of 'having your cake and eating it'. You have a kid, you made a choice to be a parent. Can't have it both ways. That's the problem with this country really.

Comment

Hi,
        Which of these options (in your opinion) is best for me?
        I’ve been a contractor for 8years. Last year, I had my little girl - she is 9 months old now. I’m ready to return to work!
        The options I have are:

1. Perm Offer from one of the big4 consulting firms - 75k
        2. Contract offer of £450 pd from my previous client
        3. Contract offer of 425 pd from another consultancy

Would consulting mean definitely long hours? With my background in retail banking, I will end up working for one of their retail banking clients anyway. So the culture may not be that bad? I never saw people work late in any of the 3 banks I worked! Also, We plan to move to Canada in a few years (DH is Canadian) - I thought working in a consulting firm can make this transition easier for us (secondment options etc). I’m terrified at the prospect of long hours though. DH works in an Investment bank - he works long hours. So I have to pick up DD from the nursery.

My previous client was ok. Boring place - but had a lot of flexibility on some projects.

The other consultancy - I told them I need flexibility - they are ok with it.
        Option 2 sounds best - Whats your background / skillset?

I thought most here would say option 1 but I would choose option 2, followed by option three with option 1 being last

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          Personally I'd choose to bring up my own kid instead of palming him/her off onto grandparents or day care. I really don't see this modern way of 'having your cake and eating it'. You have a kid, you made a choice to be a parent. Can't have it both ways. That's the problem with this country really.
          Probably my thoughts too (first sentence anyway), although not in such as direct way !

I have done a couple of big 4 contracting roles and they are not as full on as made out to be. Granted hours can be long where required, but is typically more the exception than the rule (IMO), as would be expected of any role I guess. And they have also been flexible around work arrangements, working from home, leave etc.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            Did you bring up your children? Or are all the people in offices childless?

When I had my daughter, I chose to be a “working parent”. I choose to teach her self reliance, independence and that marriage is a partnership - not a meal ticket. I am proud to earn my living and not leeching off my husband using my daughter as an excuse.

The problem with this country is people like YOU. If you have nothing to contribute, may be you should just keep quiet.
            Last edited by Winterdiva; 21 February 2018, 13:42.

Comment

Did you bring up your children? Or are all the people in offices childless?

When I had my daughter, I chose to be a “working parent”. I choose to teach her self reliance, independence and that marriage is a partnership - not a meal ticket. I am proud to earn my living and not leeching off my husband using my daughter as an excuse.

The problem with this country is people like YOU. If you have nothing to contribute, may be you should just keep quiet.
              Hear hear.
              Other people’s opinions on parenting is none of their ******* business.

Option 2. They know you. They know your situation.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Generally a contract of services will outline that you are expected to work X hours per week or day (I don't subscribe to this "professional day" nonsense). If you're lucky, or concerned that the contract doesn't represent the reality of the situation (i.e. you will be regularly asked to work extra hours and you're willing to do that), then you need to either adjust your rate accordingly or put in an overtime rate and clause in the contract. You have absolutely no other requirements to work longer hours for any client, consultancy or not.

My attitude towards clients asking me to work hours outside of my contract agreement is pretty rigid - I will only work for "free" if I've either made a mistake that's holding things up, or if I want to / can afford to do so based on my other personal and business commitments - and even then I tend to stipulate that I'll do the additional work at home to reduce my overheads (and stress!).

If a client requires additional resource because a project is late or there's mismanagement on their side, THEY have to pay for it - either by providing you additional compensation or engaging another supplier. You are running a business, and your time costs you money - giving it away for free on a regular basis makes you a chump, and is most certainly a permie mindset and an IR35 indicator. Also don't forget that they are also running a business, and as such CAN afford to pay for this additional time required.

Not everyone morally agrees with my stance - but I am a BIG believer in people being much more productive when they have a good work / life balance, regardless of their personal situation.

Clients will take the mickey if you let them. As the old adage goes... if you give them an inch...
                Last edited by Spikeh; 21 February 2018, 14:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Spikeh View Post
                  Generally a contract will outline that you are expected to work X hours per week or day (I don't subscribe to this "professional day" nonsense). If you're lucky, or concerned that the contract doesn't represent the reality of the situation (i.e. you will be regularly asked to work extra hours and you're willing to do that), then you need to either adjust your rate accordingly or put in an overtime rate and clause in the contract. You have absolutely no other requirements to work longer hours for any client, consultancy or not.

My attitude towards clients asking me to work hours outside of my contract agreement is pretty rigid - I will only work for "free" if I've either made a mistake that's holding things up, or if I want to / can afford to do so based on my other personal and business commitments - and even then I tend to stipulate that I'll do the additional work at home to reduce my overheads (and stress!).

If a client requires additional resource because a project is late or there's mismanagement on their side, THEY have to pay for it - either by providing you additional compensation or engaging another supplier. You are running a business, and your time costs you money - giving it away for free on a regular basis makes you a chump, and is most certainly a permie mindset and an IR35 indicator. Also don't forget that they are also running a business, and as such CAN afford to pay for this additional time required.

Not everyone morally agrees with my stance - but I am a BIG believer in people being much more productive when they have a good work / life balance, regardless of their personal situation.

Clients will take the mickey if you let them. As the old adage goes... if you give them an inch...
                  Did you charge the client to write this rubbish?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Did you charge the client to write this rubbish?
                    Of course not.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      Hear hear.
                      Other people’s opinions on parenting is none of their ******* business.

Option 2. They know you. They know your situation.
                      or the 'lack of parenting' to be precise, hiding selfishness behind flimsy excuses. The 'you can have it all' brigade.

Comment

Working...
                      X