• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternatives for getting paid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twenty years contracting and you need the cashflow? Begs the question: Gambling debt?

Going direct ain't always that great, you are just another creditor that needs paying, sometime you go to the bottom of the pile. Be surprised if a client will pay you weekly but you never know, don't ask, don't get and all that.

Can be handy to find a name in the finance team, buy them a coffee now and again.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Weekly bill/weekly pay is not unheard of in direct work. My standard terms are fourteen days from invoice but I worked for one global law firm who were happy to do weekly bill/weekly pay. I worked that way for years without issue and fourteen days is the worst payment terms I've ever had.

Just talk to them. Tone is everything, most managers have no clue how to work direct contracting so just make your tone that that's a matter-of-fact thing that you expect short payment terms and be "surprised" if they want longer. My standard tone is, "oh, ok, that day rate was based on my standard terms", I haven't ever needed to go further.

A competent finance department's AP team can do same day payments without difficulty, if they're expecting it. Weekly bill/weekly pay is only an issue where there's jobsworths or deliberate corporate AR/AP "positive cash flow" systems in place. Generally, most companies CAN fit in with your needs, you just need to convince them why they should.

Comment

Just out of interest on this. My nice new consultancy piece is with the NHS on a direct contract with them, weekly bill/14 day terms. Three invoices in and so far they've been paid on weekly terms, last Friday's invoice was paid today.

It takes confidence to negotiate terms beyond the client's default but it's certainly not unachievable. The negotiating tactic I use is the Columbo one "just one more thing" after we reach agreement. It's an old psychological sales trick, you seal a deal then address another point that's a nice-to-have and won't jeopardise the main agreement.

Comment

In the end, didn't need to bill directly as I got an alternate (and better offer) with a different client where the agent will pay me weekly 2 weeks in arrears.

Really grateful for all the replies, even those questioning my financial position!!!

Comment

Best make sure you pay yourself the minimum for a couple of months and get yourself a solid warchest now.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X