• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job offers daily rate advertised - gross or net?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job offers daily rate advertised - gross or net?

Hello,

When job offers are listed for contractors they also include a daily rate. From your experience does that daily rate include or exclude VAT?

Cheers!

That is the very first question you need to ask when money is mentioned over the phone.

There is no rule that says is must be one or the other, and some sneaky agents will try it on and say that it includes VAT.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've never seen a rate advertised that included VAT ever

P.S

It's a "role" not a "job"

Jobs are for permies

Comment

I saw one recently that was advertised as 'an all-in rate of £xxx

I took that to mean including vat. Can't remember exactly how much it was but I do remember thinking it was already a rubbish rate.

It's never going to be great rate when they do this so it's an immediate red flag for me.

Wondering if the op has just submitted his first invoice for a contract?

Comment

If you're at the stage of looking, then I'd assume the rate is excluding VAT unless explicity stated in the blurb.

If you're talking to the agent, then you ask them if you're not sure. When you send your representation email stating the rate you're wanting to be put forward at, you put the rate +VAT.

If you're reviewing a contract, you should check the schedule says rate +VAT. Query it if there is any ambiguity.

If you're invoicing, it's your rate with VAT on a separate line and the two totalled together to form the invoice gross value.

It's poor form in business circles to quote a VAT inclusive rate. That's for shops selling to joe public, not for B2B transactions.

Comment

Originally posted by twickenkam View Post
            Hello,

When job offers are listed for contractors they also include a daily rate. From your experience does that daily rate include or exclude VAT?

Cheers!
            the price advertised is what they pay in cash at the end of each day

sometimes bigger companies will pay you a few gold bars at the end of the month - No tax to pay and they might throw a few more bones if you behave well

Back to reality its a gross rate and excludes VAT

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              I saw one recently that was advertised as 'an all-in rate of £xxx

I took that to mean including vat. Can't remember exactly how much it was but I do remember thinking it was already a rubbish rate.

It's never going to be great rate when they do this so it's an immediate red flag for me.

Wondering if the op has just submitted his first invoice for a contract?
              All in normally means no expenses paid

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                I'll take your word for it, it's the first time I've ever seen an ad say that.

Anyway, I wonder if the OP will come back and post the full story like he told me via DM.

Comment

Ditto that.

Comment

Its an engagement, service provision or project, not a role or a job

Role implies you are part and parcel of the business. Job is actually a better word for it as you can "do a job" quickly - most genuinely self-employed tradesmen I speak to refer to all their work as "jobs".

I've never seen a rate advertised that included VAT ever

P.S

It's a "role" not a "job"

Jobs are for permies

Comment

Working...
                    X