• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the limit of your "Keep Invoicing" mantra?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on my 3rd week of inventing work whilst waiting for the project to kick off. Just adding React to my CV but it's hard trying to look busy!!

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
      I'm on my 3rd week of inventing work whilst waiting for the project to kick off. Just adding React to my CV but it's hard trying to look busy!!
      Been there a few times, client gets you in a little too early and you're thumb twiddling for a few weeks. Take the time to learn all about the company's internal processes. Most permies haven't a clue what they are and it'll come in handy when you need to find something for the project and you already know where to go for the info. I have a good trawl of the intranet site, shared drives, sharepoint, etc and bookmark the heck out of anything that looks remotely useful.

Comment

Keep on invoicing. Find a second client who will let you work from home. Keep invoicing x 2.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Keep on invoicing on, work on Plan B to Plan Z.......
          WHS - even if I have 2 hours free in an 8 hour day i'd be using it to work on my Plans B, C and D.

If you have more than that then you should be killing it coming up with a SaaS business or some other idea.

Comment

Originally posted by tvr450 View Post
            Keep on invoicing. Find a second client who will let you work from home. Keep invoicing x 2.
            This is a bit immoral, you need to be doing at least some work to justify your day rate.
            Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 31 January 2018, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              This is a bit immoral, you need to be doing at least some work to justify your day rate.
              Says the man working on Plans B-Z.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                It really depends on where on the curve you are. 5 years ago I'd have sat there and endured just about anything just to keep billing. Now I've learned that work is there and it won't be long before something else comes along so I've relaxed my view.
                Ok. Who is the impostor and what have you done with NLUK?

Comment

This is a bit immoral
                  Maybe, but morality doesn't pay the bills, put food on the table and keep a roof over your head.

you need to be doing at least some work to justify your day rate.
                  It seems that, to this particular client, he is justifying his day rate simply by being a bum-on-a-seat. After all, if the client thought it was useless him being there, then he wouldn't be there, would he?

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                    Says the man working on Plans B-Z.

qh
                    I always go over and above what is required..... In the odd case you end up in a "public sector attitude" company which means you just need to send a few emails and attend the odd meeting, in that case you can only lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Same where I am now but it is public sector. Local, rate is decent enough, skillset is ok - its just not that busy. Quietest place I've ever worked- nothing ever goes wrong. But client seems happy to pay just in case.

But, its local, probably long term and decent enough so I'll stay. If it was away from home, or crap in any other way I'd have bailed ages ago.

Beware though - I stayed at a local gig a few years because it was local. Awful place, awful permie managers, permies, complete nightmare. Took and extension then a week or so later wished I hadn't. Had a bit of effect on my mental state in the end. Bad idea.....
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X