• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An amateur mistake - Brexit Impact

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An amateur mistake - Brexit Impact

Pfff. Made the horrible mistake of holding out for a contract that was promised to me verbally. I was just informed that I was too expensive for the role. The fact that an opportunity to negotiate was not offered suggests it was more that they did not actually want me as opposed to the rate.

I should have known better. I have been doing this for 25 years.

Anyhow I find myself in the position of looking for a contract as opposed to personal referrals for the first time since 2012, need to stem the 1 month bleed I have has so far. Jobserve is at best 30-50% of realistic rates. LinkedIn apart from serving as a database of my contacts seems to offer no more than a poorer version of Facebook.

The warchest was depleted by medical expenses - adding pressure to finding a contract, which is never ideal.

I am getting some traction by submitting myself for roles that require less experience than I have, and getting call backs touting a more senior role. It's exhausting - Has anyone had any success using this method?

Anyhow....

One thing I have noticed is a steady increase of clients in Germany requiring German language skills (presumably as a filter - companies where working and documentation language is English). Some have even been as blatant (for longer term projects) to ask for a passport other than UK. I doubt this is yet legal.

I am perfectly trilingual with 2 other languages at business conversational level, but finding the EU market hostile to UK contractors. A few agents I have spoken have mentioned the same.

Waiting for my Spanish passport to come through, however I am considering changing my name to CFL Iglesias.

Is this a trend we can expect to see in the future?

**** me, the bench is boring.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 30 January 2018, 08:28. Reason: nonsense

Mentioning that which must not be spoken outside of the thread where that which must not be spoken and can be spoken about is likely to end up with some CUK bench time as well
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Mentioning that which must not be spoken outside of the thread where that which must not be spoken and can be spoken about is likely to end up with some CUK bench time as well
      We'll see. It's not an opinion on Brexit, rather a first hand account of Brexit impact on UK contractors.....
      Last edited by clearedforlanding; 30 January 2018, 08:37.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        We'll see. It's not an opinion on Brexit, rather a first hand account of Brexit impact on UK contractors.....
        Careful. Them lot don't like facts and stuff.
        You'll be defacing this safe space with evidence at this rate.

To answer the question. Market is slow all over. As for Europe, they have the largest youth unemployment problem in decades and that is bound to squeeze rates.

And the Germans know they need to wean themselves off UK contracting resource in case the worst happens next March.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Careful. Them lot don't like facts and stuff.
          You'll be defacing this safe space with evidence at this rate.

To answer the question. Market is slow all over. As for Europe, they have the largest youth unemployment problem in decades and that is bound to squeeze rates.

And the Germans know they need to wean themselves off UK contracting resource in case the worst happens next March.
          Be careful posting fake facts yourself. Youth unemployment in Germany is the lowest in the entire EU, almost half of that in the UK

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-eu-countries/

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Yup. Just got off the phone from a bizarre conversion with an Indian (irony?) asking me what my primary nationality was as she did not know where Spain was, and did not understand the concept of dual nationality.

Oh my. I am entertaining Indians.
            Last edited by clearedforlanding; 30 January 2018, 10:23. Reason: humoring NLUK

Comment

Oh. Another B word that should not be spoken. Benchtime incoming in 10...9....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Oh. Another B word that should not be spoken. Benchtime incoming in 10...9....
                Noted. I am missing Boo.

Comment

CFL I am having the same issue. Rates on JS are mostly a joke; I saw someone after a 3rd line infrastructure guy with a skills list as long as your leg for £220 a day, in LONDON! 3rd line in London is £300 minimum and most would consider that more 2nd line / desktop support.

It's taken me since Jan 3rd to line up 3 interviews and most of them have come at the same time, so stick at it and something will come off. Everywhere is just a little slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Be careful posting fake facts yourself. Youth unemployment in Germany is the lowest in the entire EU, almost half of that in the UK

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-eu-countries/
                    yes. I know. I wasn't very clear was I?
                    I meant southern Europe.

Not fake facts but just poorly presented.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X