• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left contract after 2 1/2 weeks. Do you put in on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have said, I wouldn't put it on there.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I only put months on my CV, so a two week gig could span Dec and January so would go down as such on my CV
      I only put years on mine, so a two week gig spanning Dec and January would go down as a two year one on my CV.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No chance - not unless you delivered something worthwhile speaking about in that time. And as mentioned, I only ever use months on my CV.

Comment

Yes, the use of nearest months on CV rather than specific start/end dates allows one to close gaps easily, or make them seem shorter, when having a few weeks off between contracts or a bit of bench time.

I've never had an agency or client ask for specific start/end dates to check just how long there was between contracts.

Only time specific dates have become relevant is when having to account for every second during background checks, where full disclosure is required, but then that's with a third party and not the client or agent.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I wouldn't put it on. I had a continuous 6 months off last year and no one seemed to bat an eyelid.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
              Be truthful, say you were unable to follow the client brief as you would rather do your own thing in the office
              If you were a plumber brought in by the client to fix a leaking pipe, would you follow the client's orders when they tell you to use a screwdriver rather than a wrench to turn off the stopcock valve?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                I only put years on mine, so a two week gig spanning Dec and January would go down as a two year one on my CV.
                This - I just list my clients by year not duration
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  If you were a plumber brought in by the client to fix a leaking pipe, would you follow the client's orders when they tell you to use a screwdriver rather than a wrench to turn off the stopcock valve?
                  Totally not the same thing!

The programme manager was in the school of 'let's just roll it out ASAP and deal with the sh*t when it hits the fan' whereas I am of the school 'This is the Sh*t that is going to hit the fan. Let's figure out a way to minimise/stop it before we go ahead.'
                  Trying to think of a plumbing analogy... What about..

Client has 20 leaking pipes. You want to fix the 3 which if burst could bring the whole building down, but client says no, fix the 10 smaller ones and we can deal with the other 3 as and when they happen.

Then you realise you can't swim so bail.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post

Client has 20 leaking pipes. You want to fix the 3 which if burst could bring the whole building down, but client says no, fix the 10 smaller ones and we can deal with the other 3 as and when they happen.

"Client has 20 leaking pipes. You want to fix the 3 which if burst could bring the whole building down, but client says no, fix the 10 smaller ones"

If your brief is to help the client prevent a water-based building disaster, then no.

If your brief is the wholly D&C-trapped, "Do what you're told to do, exactly how you're told to do it", then yes.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post

Plumbing analogy is more like...
                      There are 100 leaking pipes and you only have enough material to fix 60.
                      My thought is let's go buy more material to fix all 100.
                      Programme directors thought is fix the 60 and I choose not to believe the other 40 are leaky until the place floods.

I as the plumber being responsible for the house not flooding have raised that yes 40 are leaky and will flood the house.
                      Problem is if I fix the 60 and the house still floods....it's still my responsibility.

Hope that makes sense ( I am not a plumber )

Comment

Working...
                      X