• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client moved from Small Agency to Big Consulting Co.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client moved from Small Agency to Big Consulting Co.

Been with client 6 months on project, everything is great - we want you basically for all 2018 as project ongoing, everyone happy.

Informed that due to internal restructuring my current chain of MyCo -> Agency -> Client would now be handled by BigConsultingCo - but not too worry shouldn't be any change to you.

So Agency phones me, says BigConusltingCo been in touch we trying to reach deal. so new chain would be Client -> BigConsultingCo -> Agency -> Myco

Silence so far..

Can i do anything but sit and wait? Can i reach out to BigConsultingCo , how bad are handcuff clauses? - in theory Agency could be pricing me out of 9 months work, which BigConsultingCo will probably just laugh at and go find someone else.

This is Private Sector, this is outwith IR35 both with Qdos check and working practices.

You still have a contract with the agency? Or is this for an extension?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Contract finishes on 31/1

Technically this is not an extension.

Sorry i should have mentioned that it is a critical detail.

Comment

I would mention to the client that you're still waiting, you haven't changed anything, your rate stays the same etc. and see if you can get them to nudge people in the right direction.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Stamkos91 View Post
          Can i do anything but sit and wait?
          Doesn't look like it.

Can i reach out to BigConsultingCo
          Nope. You have no contractual relationship with them.

How bad are handcuff clauses?
          I'd say in your situation... bad.

- in theory Agency could be pricing me out of 9 months work, which BigConsultingCo will probably just laugh at and go find someone else.
          I very much doubt that. That's just stupid and helps no one. Agencies want their money come hell or high water. Pricing you out means they don't get a penny. They might not give a jot about you but they won't throw away their commission lightly.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 23 January 2018, 10:18.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Appreciate it guys.

Comment

Can't do anything except wait. The client has told you there is nothing to worry about, so there is nothing more to clarify. Unfortunately in these sorts of cases with so many intermediaries involved it will take a while.

When you run a business you sometimes have to wait and take a risk. If you have cash flow problems you need to put the feelers out.

My view would be to wait a week and then ask again about the contract.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 January 2018, 11:27.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

31st is not far away so I would chase the agency up asap this week.

If not an extension then be wary of different contract terms (and rate), you may have to get it reviewed again if substantially different to previous contract for some reason.

As client is forcing the change they must expect a cost increase to involve bigconcorp in the chain, unless the agency was on a big margin already and they're just being reluctant to absorb some of the restructuring 'efficiencies' without at least some re-negotiation.

All you can do is let the client know that the contract hasn't been sorted yet so not sure you'll be able to continue without a break while it's resolved if not all done and dusted for the end of the month. The client will put pressure on their supply chain to get it sorted if it raises a risk to their projects.

Are you the only contractor at the client via that agency? If not see if the others have seen their new contract yet or if they're in same position as you still.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                X