• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flown to the UK for a contract, but informed on arrival the contract cannot yet start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flown to the UK for a contract, but informed on arrival the contract cannot yet start

Good moring, ladies and gents.

I accepted last Thursday a contract through the recruitment agency Hays. The client is UCAS, in Cheltenham. I completed all the paperwork with Hays the day after. The start date was set to be Monday the 22nd of January.

I was at the time in Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Having completed the paperwork, I secured accomodation in Cheltenham and booked a flight. I flew over yesterday, the 19th January. I am now in Cheltenham.

Durng the day, while I was travelling, the agent at Hays emailed me to say that UCAS had asked on the 18th for changes in their contract with Hays and until those changes were reviewed and accepted by Hays legal team, I could not start work with UCAS.

(It may be relevent to mention that I have incurred some cost to come to Cheltenham, about 1k GBP, as my rent in Santa Cruz was paid up till the 20th Feb and the month I've taken here is not refundable.)

Apparently Hays' legal team has a seven day SLA (presumably business days) but the agent has asked for an expedited response. This gives some guidance to how long the initial response might take but of couse nothing more.

Any words of wisdom?

My thought is to give Hays the time necessary to make a response, assuming it's on the order of the guideline timescale, as the matter may be dealt with out of hand, but, the same time, to resume tentative contact with the other contracts which were in-flight at the time I accepted the UCAS contract, as they may still be looking and I've already made some progress in applying. If Hays/UCAS take too long, or seem to be going to take too long, or be too unlikely to resolve the matter, to bail on that contract and simply move on.
    Last edited by Toebs; 20 January 2018, 09:02. Reason: correcting typoes

Start looking for a new role, it’s likely the agent is messing you about.

You should always limit your exposure when taking a new contract, staying in a hotel for the first 2 weeks so you figure out whether it’s worth the outlay.

If you’re an IPSE+ member you might be able to claim some compensation from them. Otherwise chip up and enjoy the weekend

Comment

It may feel relevant to you (your flights and accommodation costs) but it is not for the client/agency.
      (Another contractor might not have mentioned their location for fear of not getting an interview)

The fact you might walk certainly is though.

Sometimes contracts get delayed, even cancelled. Not a lot you can do other than keep chasing it, and start looking for alternatives

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        It may feel relevant to you (your flights and accommodation costs) but it is not for the client/agency.
        I am not troubled by the loss. It is also true or almost certainty true Hays will not accept a responsibility for it, although I may be doing them a dis-service, since I have not yet spoken to them. It is only my expectation.

I do think it important to correctly understand events that occur, so we may know of them, and act more wisely in the future. I also think if we *say* nothing, simply shrug and carry on, then we can become inured to impropriety.

I specifically instructed the agency that I would only come over once the paperwork was complete, because of the costs in doing so. The paperwork was completed on the day after I verbally accepted.

In fact I think in my inexperience, what has happened is that I completed the paperwork *with the agency*, and they in turn had *not* completed the paperwork with the client, and this they did *not* communicate to me.

I judge their conduct improper. It imposed a risk upon me without my knowledge or consent, and against my expressly stated wish.

*However*, I have yet to talk to Hays to confirm the situation, so I may be mistaken in my appraisal. I will speak to them on Monday.

The fact you might walk certainly is though.

Sometimes contracts get delayed, even cancelled. Not a lot you can do other than keep chasing it, and start looking for alternatives
        Yes. My view also. I can afford to give them a little time, while at the same time resuming my earlier in-flight contracts.

I am also thinking, since I am now here, to visit UCAS on Monday and chat with them, to get their side of things and to keep each other informed.

Comment

I never sign a contract until the other side has. In fact, when negotiating my first contract in 1988, the female agent exposed most of her breasts to me to try to get me to sign.

However it does not really help.

Personally I would have flown back on the Sunday. The agent was very naughty waiting 24 hours to tell you there was an issue.

Start looking round. But it might all be sorted Monday for you to start Tuesday.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Personally I would have flown back on the Sunday. The agent was very naughty waiting 24 hours to tell you there was an issue.
            It could have been inadvertant. It might be the information arrived on the Thursday or even late on the Thursday and simply did not reach the agent before Friday.

Or it might have been the agency knew long beforehand and knowingly withheld the information from me.

I will know on Monday, as I will visit UCAS in person.

Start looking round. But it might all be sorted Monday for you to start Tuesday.

Good luck!
            Thankyou.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I never sign a contract until the other side has. In fact, when negotiating my first contract in 1988, the female agent exposed most of her breasts to me to try to get me to sign.
              Reader, I married her?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I this morning attended the UCAS building and spoke to the project manager and the HR recruiter handling my contract.

There had not been at any time a completed and signed contract between UCAS and Hays.

Hays' assurance to me that all the paperwork was complete was incorrect.

I will now discuss the matter with Hays and see what they say.

UCAS were talking in terms of the start date being tomorrow. Hays in their email on Friday indicated that normally they would have a response within seven working days. The disparity of expectations are such that it is then not yet clear then what will occur. It does seem very likely a contract will emerge, but by being only very likely is not actually certain.
                Last edited by Toebs; 22 January 2018, 11:50.

Comment

agent mouth is open

Originally posted by Toebs View Post
                  I this morning attended the UCAS building and spoke to the project manager and the HR recruiter handling my contract.

There had not been at any time a completed and signed contract between UCAS and Hays.

Hays' assurance to me that all the paperwork was complete was incorrect.

UCAS were talking in terms of the start date being tomorrow. Hays in their email on Friday indicated that normally they would have a response within seven working days. The disparity of expectations are such that it is then not yet clear then what will occur. It does seem very likely a contract will emerge, but by being only very likely is not actually certain.
                  I take it they have informed you if the contract is IR35 caught or not?
                  Last edited by tarbera; 22 January 2018, 11:31.

Comment

Standard Hays trick - contact as you have found out is not sorted yet.

UCAS themselves are a funny lot too - I worked there some years ago. They get loads of contractors in via outsourcing (its probably different company now) but to them, contractors are mega mega expendable. They seemed to think it was ok to leave a note with security to tell someone they werent needed that day.

Now this could have been the outsource company but it happened to a few people I know of. Even though they knew, in some cases these people were out of pocket because of it. Sounds like a combo of Hays and UCAS here.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X