• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been asked to install key logging software...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been asked to install key logging software...

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, *newbie here*, but need some advice please.

Situation: I am a contractor, work from home, and use my own laptop. One of my clients has asked me to install a key logger on my laptop, that will record key strokes and send screen shots to them, so they can "accurately record time spent on individual projects". I have several problems with this:

1. I have more than one client, and am pretty sure my other clients would have concerns about data security if I had a key logger installed.
    2. It is my laptop, not a client supplied one.
    3. Concerned that there may be IR35 issues.

I need to explain myself to them, to say why I am not going to be installing their key logger on my laptop (I think it is likely to be a volatile meeting as the client is a little direct, and may well end in the termination of this contract!), and was wondering if there is any opinions/references etc out there that I can cadge to support my assertions. Any other opinions?

Really grateful for any help!

Cheers,
    Sky

I'd be tempted to just leave.. That's gotta be a horrible place to work.

Comment

Originally posted by skysurfer View Post
      Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, *newbie here*, but need some advice please.

Situation: I am a contractor, work from home, and use my own laptop. One of my clients has asked me to install a key logger on my laptop, that will record key strokes and send screen shots to them, so they can "accurately record time spent on individual projects". I have several problems with this:

1. I have more than one client, and am pretty sure my other clients would have concerns about data security if I had a key logger installed.
      2. It is my laptop, not a client supplied one.
      3. Concerned that there may be IR35 issues.

I need to explain myself to them, to say why I am not going to be installing their key logger on my laptop (I think it is likely to be a volatile meeting as the client is a little direct, and may well end in the termination of this contract!), and was wondering if there is any opinions/references etc out there that I can cadge to support my assertions. Any other opinions?

Really grateful for any help!

Cheers,
      Sky

Just tell them no. If they want their software on the laptop you use then they provide the laptop. The security risk you identified is the correct reason, and not just for your other clients.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You've already nailed it in your first two points - the laptop is the property of your company, and therefore you will not be installing anything on there that is against your company policy. And you have confidentiality concerns about installing their software on a laptop which is not solely used for the one client.

If they absolutely insist, then create a virtual machine image and use that for this client - you can install the key logger there and then use the host machine for everything else. I don't have a key logger installed on my laptop, but that's what I do for their work - I run a Windows 7 VM that has their VPN software etc (which also verifies you have the "right" software installed) and I use the host machine for everything else.

Your best bet (beyond leaving this awful place) is that they give you a laptop instead.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.

Are there likely to be any IR35 issues wrt the keylogger, or any GDPR issues when it comes into force? Would like to be able to go into the meeting with a whole load of facts that will beat him into submission!

Really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply, thanks a lot!

Comment

That is utter b*llocks.

If they don't trust you to do the work they are paying you for, then you are immediately starting on a bad footing.

If you can afford to, I would be direct with them and simply tell them if they don't trust you then feel free to cancel the contract. (is that requirement in the contract?? if not even better.)

"I'm good at my job, and I am a professional. You will get what you are paying for, I am not trying to cheat you out of time/money. If that isn't good enough for you, I'd like to point out that the requirement for this software is not in the contract you signed. You can either cancel the contract, or we can continue as professionals, and I will complete the services I have been contracted to provide".

I'm trying to imagine some gimp manager looking through hours of logs, screenshots, and trying to figure out if it all adds up to "yes he was working all that time". Total nonsense.
            Last edited by jmo21; 18 January 2018, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              That is utter b*llocks.

If they don't trust you to do the work they are paying you for, then you are immediately starting on a bad footing.

If you can afford to, I would be direct with them and simply tell them if they don't trust you then feel free to cancel the contract. (is that requirement in the contract?? if not even better.)
              I hear you! It is the old issue, remote head office, even though I have been contracting with them for 4 years (mid to senior level), they have panic attacks that they may not be aware of exactly what you are doing and when, so they leap to these extremes! Guaranteed way to make you feel un-trusted, and completely demotivated!!!

Comment

I hear you! It is the old issue, remote head office, even though I have been contracting with them for 4 years (mid to senior level), they have panic attacks that they may not be aware of exactly what you are doing and when, so they leap to these extremes! Guaranteed way to make you feel un-trusted, and completely demotivated!!!
                Key logging software on your own kit? Just no. Is that even legal? So if you log into online banking to check your balance in your lunch-break what then?
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

another method to refuse it is tell the client that your AV software blocked it from running.

I'd still suggest they get told to Foxtrot Oscar but if you want to be polite you can use this.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Sounds like middle management who have no idea how to manage, and come up with some rubbish "thing" to make up for it.

And you've been there 4 years too!

Surprised they would even consider allowing WFH....."if he's not at his desk, he can't be working!"

Comment

Working...
                    X