• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel requested by client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    I would certainly question this. Ok for local expense claims but if I'm in a foreign country at their behest they pay for everything. 3 meals a day. coke. hookers. the lot.
    Of course that can be questioned as everything else, just needed to be done before making a trip.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Get receipts for the travel clinic and prescription - they are not covered free by the NHS and the Malarone will cost about £70 for a 2 week trip.
      I ordered from Express Pharmacy before - https://www.expresspharmacy.co.uk/tr...laria/malarone - £53 for a two week trip.

If you're ordering from somewhere that allows you to buy individual tablets, bear in mind you need 7 days after you leave the malarial area as well as a couple of days in advance. Trqavelpharm may be cheaper if you only need it for a couple of days.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        OK, I'd check if they have travel rules, try to book the same flights (and same class) as the permies, definitely book the same hotel, make sure you have a loyalty card for the airline and the hotel (sign up now!)
        By being in the same hotel, then you are sharing a taxi/rental car, etc. Clients appreciate contractors who work with them on this.

If you're off to Africa, check if you need any jabs or anti-malaria tablets
        Destinations - Fit For Travel
        If so...
        You'll then need to book yourself into a travel clinic at your local GP surgery to get the jabs/prescriptions. The yellow fever jab is the most painful one you might need, and if you need anti-malaria, ask them for Malarone, it's the best, but it may give you weird dreams.
        Get receipts for the travel clinic and prescription - they are not covered free by the NHS and the Malarone will cost about £70 for a 2 week trip.

If you're off to South Africa and staying in the cities, you don't need anything, but should you choose to head up to e.g. Madekwe for a safari at the weekend, then you would need jabs etc.

Do you know which country and city you are off to? I've done a bit of travel in Botswana, Namibia, Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia so might be able to give you some insight/tips.
        Re "at your local GP surgery" more than likely the queues at an NHS GP will be too long, just go to a private clinic in London, or near one of the regional airports

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
          Re "at your local GP surgery" more than likely the queues at an NHS GP will be too long, just go to a private clinic in London, or near one of the regional airports
          Your opinion differs from my experience. Travel clinics are normally held once a week at NHS GP surgeries. You need to book it in advance - if you're going away for school holidays you may need to book a couple of weeks in advance. It won't be a doctor but most likely a nurse practitioner.
          You don't just turn up, take a ticket and wait, you have to pre-book.

The more clued up GP surgeries actually send out a questionnaire (or have one online) which you fill in prior to attending, which speeds up the whole process.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by newcontract View Post
            They have asked me to go but mentioned that I would need to pay the trip myself and they would reimburse me.
            No.

It's "shoe on the other foot" time.

If the client thinks this is acceptable, I'd counter by insisting that the client immediately pay me up front, in a single lump sum, my daily rate for the entirety of the rest of the contract and I'll "reimburse" them by working for those days.

Watch as the client balks at even the suggestion of this. Explain that this is exactly what the client is expecting of you regarding these travel arrangements.

Tell them you'll only do it if they pay for everything up front.

Comment

Call me an IR35 wimp but I wouldn't touch it. Far too IR35y.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                Travelling to a workshop?

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  I'd say that's way down on the list of things we could call you.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                    Travelling to a workshop?
                    Travelling anywhere, for any reason, at the request of the client (other than local client offices). Too cautious perhaps, but ymmv.

Comment

Originally posted by newcontract View Post
                      They have asked me to go but mentioned that I would need to pay the trip myself and they would reimburse me.
                      Be very cautious and check your contract.
                      I am always fine with paying up front as long as the contract has clauses for expenses. At the very minimum you want to be able to bill for 'expenses agreed in advance'.
                      That way you'll need an email agreeing for flights, hotels and subsistence for the trip, preferably with the locations in the email. That email will mean you have a leg to stand on if they don't want to pay.
                      Also make sure you understand their expenses policy (some may tell you that's for perms, but I wouldn't fancy your chances of them agreeing to pay more than they would for a perm).
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X