• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying Away for Next Contract Role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staying Away for Next Contract Role

Hi Chaps and Chapettes,

Looking increasingly likely my next role is going to be too far to reasonably commute, so certainly initially going to be staying near site until I can negotiate some WFH. Clearly the best way to do this for the first couple of weeks is to stay in a hotel whilst I get my bearings, but ideally i'd look for a Mon-Fri let from somewhere like SpareRoom for the duration of the contract.

My question is, how do you go about putting the costs of a rented room from somewhere like SpareRoom (where oftentimes people want cash in hand, no invoice etc.) through your ltd.? Do you simply have to find someone that is happy to write an invoice and then pay them via your company account? That seemed to me to be the only way of doing it. I don't want to pay via my company account without having an invoice to back it up, and likewise don't want to pay personally and then claim back via expense without a valid receipt of some sort.

Any one have any alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

If you're wanting to get a receipt then you need to forget about places that will be a few quid cheaper for cash in hand, and look at renting or finding a B&B that will do you a long term deal.

...but first, get the contract and spend a couple of weeks sussing out the area.

In the past I have stayed in pubs where they advertised a rate of £90 a night, but after negotiating I got it to £45 a night as long as I block booked. Once it was in place, they changed the arrangement to me having a booking Mon-Thurs unless I told them otherwise at least a day in advance. Which was excellent (unless I didn't turn up and forgot to tell them)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

What does your accountant suggest?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        What does your accountant suggest?
        What does YOUR accountant suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          If you're wanting to get a receipt then you need to forget about places that will be a few quid cheaper for cash in hand, and look at renting or finding a B&B that will do you a long term deal.

...but first, get the contract and spend a couple of weeks sussing out the area.

In the past I have stayed in pubs where they advertised a rate of £90 a night, but after negotiating I got it to £45 a night as long as I block booked. Once it was in place, they changed the arrangement to me having a booking Mon-Thurs unless I told them otherwise at least a day in advance. Which was excellent (unless I didn't turn up and forgot to tell them)
          Thanks WTFH. I had assumed that'd probably be the case. Ideally I'd like to avoid having to cart my suits around all the time and have some sort of decent internet... And avoid the temptation of pub grub every night! Which is why I thought renting a room may have worked out a little easier / better.

Comment

Last time I did this, it was with Monday to Friday - proper contract, receipts, etc. and I just paid from my company account.

I found somewhere walking distance from the client office so only had to do the tube Monday and Friday, could stay there weekends if I wanted to, left my stuff there all the time, had a cleaner who I paid £20 a month to iron all my shirts etc.

Much nicer than staying in a B&B or a hotel.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I got a holiday cottage one time, in the off season (colder months), which worked out quite well, as they would never have been able to rent it out to holiday makers, so was good for them and good for me. And a good price as their sums only relied upon having it rented out in the warmer 6 months of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                Thanks WTFH. I had assumed that'd probably be the case. Ideally I'd like to avoid having to cart my suits around all the time and have some sort of decent internet... And avoid the temptation of pub grub every night! Which is why I thought renting a room may have worked out a little easier / better.
                I've stayed in B&Bs before where they have let me leave clothes behind if the room isn't already rented out, or if they get a late booking, they'd move the suits to their own part of the house, then bring them back on my return.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                  What does YOUR accountant suggest?
                  He says speak to your accountant.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've gone the spare room route. People don't want to write receipts in case it takes them over the £4.5k allowance for their self assessment/affects their house insurance etc.

However, I still have to stay some place as it is too far to travel every day, so I just expense it without a receipt.

It is a bank transfer every month from my personal account which I should probably do from the company account, but not cash in hand at least. For what it's worth I kept a copy of the ad.

I know the lack of the receipt is a biggie but who knows I might ask my accountant about it one day.

Comment

Working...
                    X