• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying Away for Next Contract Role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    I'm not sure an air cooled VW Camper would handle the 160 mile journey twice a week! And even if it would, I'd never want to put that kinda mileage on one!
    perfectly doable, just the average journey time doubles.

I did just that for a couple of weeks in the mid 90's (until the site i was using closed for winter), I was working on a huge site at the time so having the camper was a useful way to hide and make a cuppa between meetings. 4.5 hours each way at 23mpg wasn't fun, but it was either that or a motorbike.

Would I do it now? no.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Motorhome as a car replacement is a bit of a stretch, since you'll be much more limited about ease of parking, driving down country lanes etc etc.

Now, a VW campervan on the other hand (which I happen to have one for sale ) is a much better option to take
      Any more info.

Interested.

Comment

Originally posted by sketchandsunshine View Post
        Any more info.

Interested.
        Dibs 10% commission if sold to Sketchandshine for generating you a lead FAQQer

Ewwww. I sound like a pimp.

Comment

Originally posted by sketchandsunshine View Post
          Any more info.

Interested.
          7309: VW T4 - Vehicle details

CUK discount available
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

This sounds sensible. I was just wondering if anyone else had done anything similar and not then been questioned by Hector.
            Is point out to the person not wanting to provide a receipt that if I get investigated I’ll tell the taxman who they are anyway.
            If they provide receipts hector isn’t likely to care. If they don’t then Hector has an easy tax evader to find.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              7309: VW T4 - Vehicle details

CUK discount available
              Are you seriously suggesting that you can live in a van in the cold and at night?!!

Seriously?!

Why not just sleep in the office

Just use Airbnb and forget about it

Comment

Serviced Apartments

Much more civilised. You can slop around in your PJs (if that's your thing), cook your own food, and enjoy a modicum of luxury whilst staying away from home. You'll get a receipt to boot.
                "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

What does YOUR accountant suggest?
                  "Get a contract, please!"
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

If staying a lot in hotels make sure you get off the flat VAT rate (if you're on it now)

Comment

I did a shared house for 18 months in London - living with 3 girls - total nightmare

Then rented flats. Better all done above board, with contacts, receipts etc. etc.

Hector will be on you like a pack of wolves if you have no receipts and just some dodgy withdrawals from a personal account.

Comment

Working...
                      X