• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working on oilrig / offshore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on oilrig / offshore

Hello, newbie here.

I have a query around working offshore and if anyone has any experience doing so whilst contracting in a consultancy which is normally office / home based.

I am an IT consultant but am being asked to go to an oil rig in Europe for no additional recompense, I will only get my regular day rate. The work hours are abnormal. Normally go offshore from 6-18 but I know from past experience I often have to work later. I don't see anything in my contract in terms of the hours expected so I believe I don't have a leg to stand on in terms of being able to claim any additional recompense?

Yes you do, you don't accept the contract.

Don't you have to go through loads of training like the helicopter ditching and the like before working on the rigs?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Walk (or swim)

Comment

Why would you take a role for the same money as usual that's a total ballache? Don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
          Why would you take a role for the same money as usual that's a total ballache? Don't do it.
          I'm not 100% bought in to that. I get what you are saying but when I was a spotty apprentice I wanted to do a stint on the rigs and also working for one of the big oil set ups in the arab states. Do something really tough to test my mettle. You'd come out with a good experience and some interesting stories. Now I'd probably just draw the line at an interesting country. If it pays enough to cover the bills and a bit but there is a bit of life experience I'd consider it. A bit like the threads about Zurich. People always talk about the money and is it enough? I'd ask do I fancy a couple of months or so working in Zurich for the experience first. Sometimes it's not all about the money (for some).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Yes you do, you don't accept the contract.

Don't you have to go through loads of training like the helicopter ditching and the like before working on the rigs?
            yes you have to do a load of training.
            Once you’ve done the training you are worth more to the next client as they don’t have to put you through it again. So if the OPs client is going to pay for the training, and it’s short term it might be worth it.
            Think of all the money saved in boozing (most rigs are dry).
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I'm not 100% bought in to that. I get what you are saying but when I was a spotty apprentice I wanted to do a stint on the rigs and also working for one of the big oil set ups in the arab states. Do something really tough to test my mettle. You'd come out with a good experience and some interesting stories. Now I'd probably just draw the line at an interesting country. If it pays enough to cover the bills and a bit but there is a bit of life experience I'd consider it. A bit like the threads about Zurich. People always talk about the money and is it enough? I'd ask do I fancy a couple of months or so working in Zurich for the experience first. Sometimes it's not all about the money (for some).
              Entirely agree; just the way the OP worded it made it sound like it wasn't really something he was all that keen on. Did you ever manage to do a stint or did that particular desire pass you by? Be interested to know what it was like!

Comment

I've done the training and I have been off before as a permie. I would just expect a different rate for working in a much riskier environment in terms of danger and hours worked. The work involved would mean 5-6 days of 12-16 hours work. I am guilty of being naive in terms of not having work hours stipulated in the contract, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                  Entirely agree; just the way the OP worded it made it sound like it wasn't really something he was all that keen on. Did you ever manage to do a stint or did that particular desire pass you by? Be interested to know what it was like!
                  Never got to do either in the end sadly. Did a stint working in Dubai but that's fairly recently when it's now a business hub rather than the enclaves and the like of old so a bit of a walk in the park rather than a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Northenlight View Post
                    I've done the training and I have been off before as a permie. I would just expect a different rate for working in a much riskier environment in terms of danger and hours worked. The work involved would mean 5-6 days of 12-16 hours work. I am guilty of being naive in terms of not having work hours stipulated in the contract, perhaps.
                    What is the oil industry like now? A couple of years ago it was pretty poor.

It might be worth keeping your CV current?

A neighbour of ours is still filling in time between oil jobs by working at Tesco.

Comment

Working...
                    X