• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How difficult is it to shake off the public sector image

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a while and especially since I have become the stuffed turkey, I have been looking at other contracts that utilise the same skills as those used in my current surroundings. i.e. Business Analyst with masses of change expertise and recently project management as I held three post before the rest of the team came on board. My CV is relatively good (I Think) yet no one seems interest in a BA with 10 years (Multiple) NHS experience with several versions of EPR, eDocumenting Systems (Records) and the usual skills around the work of the BA.
    Mr ISL

You are going to have to network to get a contract outside the NHS as now you are type casted.

Lots of other posters here like myself do a mixture of public and private sector work so we don't have that issue.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Very hard. I read a lot of CVs and someone who’s only ever been in PS is a risk. Not impossible mind. A perfect match for a CV will outweigh PS issues and get you shortlisted. Once shortlisted it’s up to you how you come across.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ISL View Post
        For a while and especially since I have become the stuffed turkey, I have been looking at other contracts that utilise the same skills as those used in my current surroundings. i.e. Business Analyst with masses of change expertise and recently project management as I held three post before the rest of the team came on board. My CV is relatively good (I Think) yet no one seems interest in a BA with 10 years (Multiple) NHS experience with several versions of EPR, eDocumenting Systems (Records) and the usual skills around the work of the BA.
        Get yourself with NHS Digital and dig your way out from there.

Digital will trump NHS at the moment.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

10 years of EPR and EDMS experience is some serious industry and domain expertise which commands a premium. If you are desperate to leave the public sector you could stay in health. Private healthcare would take you but it is a small market. The system vendors would take you but typically take permies. Maybe your EDMS Experience is transferable to other industries.

Comment

This is the problem for me. Once a BA starts thinking he's also equally skilled a PM I just shut down. What exactly does your CV sell you as. Some people say you are only as good as your last gig. If you show a single, or maybe two PM roles and then it switches back to BA your CV will most likely go in the bin. You'll be up against BA's with constant BA experience and PM's with nothing but solid PM gigs. Start flirting between the two and some dumb ass agent isn't going to know what to do.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think you have 2 problems: one is sector [predominantly public], and other is skillset [multiple & varied].

I'd consider tailoring CV to the relevant role to address the 'skillset' problem, i.e. ditch PM references if you're going for BA roles, and vice versa for PM roles.

Good point, well made:

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Start flirting between the two and some dumb ass agent isn't going to know what to do.
              I think their motto is 'if in doubt, sling it out'

Sadly, you're at the mercy of the agent on both counts but at least by eliminating one of the 2 problems it puts you in a better position.
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Er......why would you want to? The public sector is not some sort of resume stain. There isn’t a two tier system where the best gigs only go to people who’ve worked predominantly in the private sector, despite what some would have you believe. Don’t talk yourself down!

Isn’t the NHS the third largest employer in the world? With annual revenues of £150 billion or something crazy like that? Constantly changing, always chasing the next fad, non-stop reorgs.
                The biggest corporations in the world are fighting like mad to get a slice of this pie and you want to bail out of it? And for what? A gig at startuppatientrecords.com because it’s private sector?
                Imagine you had been working at startuppatientrecords.com. You would be slavering at the opportunities the NHS offered and would give your right arm to break into it.

Play up your successes. And don’t think of your public sector experience as something that you need to “shake off”. It's something you should be proud of.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
                  Er......why would you want to? The public sector is not some sort of resume stain. There isn’t a two tier system where the best gigs only go to people who’ve worked predominantly in the private sector, despite what some would have you believe. Don’t talk yourself down!

Isn’t the NHS the third largest employer in the world? With annual revenues of £150 billion or something crazy like that? Constantly changing, always chasing the next fad, non-stop reorgs.
                  The biggest corporations in the world are fighting like mad to get a slice of this pie and you want to bail out of it? And for what? A gig at startuppatientrecords.com because it’s private sector?
                  Imagine you had been working at startuppatientrecords.com. You would be slavering at the opportunities the NHS offered and would give your right arm to break into it.

Play up your successes. And don’t think of your public sector experience as something that you need to “shake off”. It's something you should be proud of.
                  I think you are taking the terminology slightly wrong. He's talking about not being pigeon holed and his pure NHS experience being a problem when he applies for a private sector gig. It's a valid concern and something any contractor would want. Yes NHS might have a lot of money and work but to be a one trick pony when working for yourself is not the best place to be. Nothing wrong with planning ahead and being able to pick up work with other clients outside the NHS if need be.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Would it be worth getting a short contract with a low(er) day rate in order to get some varied experience for your CV?

Comment

Working...
                    X