• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract with some international travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boo View Post
    This puts me outside IR35 in respect of overseas working, in so far as any contract term can do that...
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Current client:
      All flights paid for by client. Taxis, hotels, meals and incidentals paid for by me, then client pays me back.
      Permies have company credit cards which they must use for their expenses. Not sure what goes on after that.

Last contract, very similar but...
      All flights paid for by client. Some hotels paid by client. Taxis, meals and incidentals paid for by me, then client pays me back. Exception being that if a senior permie is there, they pick up the bill instead of me. But if the bill was very high, senior would get a contractor to pick up the bill as it was easier to sign off contractor expenses, than explain it!
      Permies have company credit cards which they must use for their expenses, the card is linked to their personal bank account and then they get paid back after using an online expenses system.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes, and accepting their policy will put you firmly in the IR35 caught category...
        Boo

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        bulltulip
        ...snip irrelevant guff...
        Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        The reason that my overseas expenses terms are one clause (of many) which combine to put me outside of IR35 is that it is MyCo's standard term, which all ClientCo's accept, and which therefore puts the entire contract into a B2B scenario.

The same applies, only more so, to MyCo's work schedules which are not 9-5 5 days a week as essentially all ClientCo's employees work.

Differences between MyCo's provided staff 's working methods and ClientCo's requirements for their staff are indeed significant from the IR35 POV and this is most specifically the case when those terms are uniformly applied to all MyCo's Clients as this proves vital the IBOOA requirement.

If you don't understand the above then I think you need to refresh your understanding of IR35

Boo

Comment

The reason that my overseas expenses terms are one clause (of many) which combine to put me outside of IR35 is that it is MyCo's standard term, which all ClientCo's accept, and which therefore puts the entire contract into a B2B scenario.

The same applies, only more so, to MyCo's work schedules which are not 9-5 5 days a week as essentially all ClientCo's employees work.

Differences between MyCo's provided staff 's working methods and ClientCo's requirements for their staff are indeed significant from the IR35 POV and this is most specifically the case when those terms are uniformly applied to all MyCo's Clients as this proves vital the IBOOA requirement.

If you don't understand the above then I think you need to refresh your understanding of IR35

Boo
          That’s a straw man argument there ^^^^^^^

Accepting and complying with a client’s expenses policy != being inside IR35
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Current client:
            All flights paid for by client. Taxis, hotels, meals and incidentals paid for by me, then client pays me back.
            Permies have company credit cards which they must use for their expenses. Not sure what goes on after that.
            ^ this

I have exactly the same, airline paid by client everything else by myself and claimed back.

Only issue I have is that I can’t book hotels myself I need to use Amadeus for both the airfare and hotels
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Current client:

Last contract, very similar but...
              All flights paid for by client. Some hotels paid by client. Taxis, meals and incidentals paid for by me, then client pays me back. Exception being that if a senior permie is there, they pick up the bill instead of me. But if the bill was very high, senior would get a contractor to pick up the bill as it was easier to sign off contractor expenses, than explain it!
              Permies have company credit cards which they must use for their expenses, the card is linked to their personal bank account and then they get paid back after using an online expenses system.
              Pretty much how it has always worked for me.

In addition I might request a certain airport to be used as well as business class.
              At the hotel I might require a bigger executive room.

Most perms would not have that choice, only more senior people.

How this is claimed, stated, or actioned, IMO, has no bearing on IR35 whatsoever.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                That’s a straw man argument there ^^^^^^^

Accepting and complying with a client’s expenses policy != being inside IR35
                Its a claim mechanism, usually the only one available.

In addition the processes attached to a perm vs. contractor are likely to be very different, as I explained.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    In any case, having different day rates in place surely puts you at risk of unexpected costs, especially when it comes to flights and hotels.

Better to let the client have the headache, plus their influence and purchasing power.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Its a claim mechanism, usually the only one available.

In addition the processes attached to a perm vs. contractor are likely to be very different, as I explained.
                      Even if it’s the same process it makes no odds.
                      Although it will always be a different process as you’ll be raising an invoice and adding VAT.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X