• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Feedback from contractor test

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback from contractor test

Just been asked to do a test program for a contract interview.

Did it, the only response from the agent was 'You did'nt get the job'

Does anybody else round here get any sort off feedback from this type of thing ?

I do not mind doing tests, but I resent it if I have spent several hours of my time doing something for somebody else and I do not get any feedback!

Originally posted by Bheleu View Post

Does anybody else round here get any sort off feedback from this type of thing ?

I do not mind doing tests, but I resent it if I have spent several hours of my time doing something for somebody else and I do not get any feedback!
    Is it the agent or end clients role to give you feedback to help you get better? Why should they spend money/time on that?

Comment

You are going to have to get over that or you are going to have a long miserable contracting career. It's hard nosed business now I am afraid.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They won't give you feedback as they don't want to be sued.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They are probably using your program solution to correct another programmer's failings but just wanted a free way to do it.

Comment

You got told you did not get the job? You lucky b*****d! Most of us just get ignored. You really are the blue eyed boy/girl. Did you slip the agent a few shekels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EI7p2p1QJI

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              You got told you did not get the job? You lucky b*****d! Most of us just get ignored. You really are the blue eyed boy/girl. Did you slip the agent a few shekels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EI7p2p1QJI

It would be nice to get a few shekels I might settle for a crumb or two, but at least I now known I am not the only one, I should have got some 'Old Overcoat' in to drink to wash away the taste

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                They are probably using your program solution to correct another programmer's failings but just wanted a free way to do it.
                I should co co

Comment

I refused to do tests like that.

Certifications, years of experience far more telling that a noddy program.

One asked me to code the FizzBuzz problem. At home. As I pointed out, there are endless solutions online - how does that tell them anything? Another wanted me to spend a max 6 hours coding a solution. It was pretty clear that it was a domain related solution, so wanted me to work for free. I looked at the specification supplied and gave a quote. Didn't hear back.

I always found those coding tests or even online tests were more about trying to trip people up than displaying actual relevant knowledge along with covering the fact the client weren't that capable of interviewing well. In my experience, a good interviewer can spot a bs artist within minutes.

Comment

Not a contract interview but for a perm role once I arrived at the interview and found an A3 sketch pad, crayons, pencils, pens and a rubber on the desk. The first thing they asked me to do was to spend 10-15 minutes drawing... I told them I wasn't in any way artistic which was why I worked in IT... They were quite persistent, so I drew 3 stick men with a regular lead pencil and spent the remaining 14mins and 30 seconds twiddling my thumbs.

I never did find out what they thought of my protest drawing....

Comment

Working...
                    X