• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monthly railway ticket- can this be expensed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skysies View Post
    Ok, to wrap this up, it seems legit to claim a monthly train ticket, if that's less than the daily tickets for the days I go to work...Still a bit unsure about claiming an yearly ticket though, as I would expense a whooping £2500 at one time...This one would be much cheaper than the monthly one, let alone the daily...
    So would I, especially if you only last somewhere a week.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      So would I, especially if you only last somewhere a week.
      With a yearly or monthly ticket if there is enough unused time you can claim the money back.

Enough depends on the operator.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ok, to wrap this up, it seems legit to claim a monthly train ticket, if that's less than the daily tickets for the days I go to work...Still a bit unsure about claiming an yearly ticket though, as I would expense a whooping £2500 at one time...This one would be much cheaper than the monthly one, let alone the daily...
        The same principle applies. If the annual ticket is cheaper (which it will be) and you expect to be there for a year then why not? Even if you're not there for a year, as long as you cancel the ticket and obtain a refund for the remaining period, no BIK issue should arise.

Comment

U sure a yearly one is THAT much cheaper?

I know when I used to do it, 7 day was a little bit cheaper than daily, montly was tons cheaper, 3 monthly was 3x monhtly so pointless, and yearly was just a little cheaper again.

In fact, doing the month+x trick it was cheaper than a yearly.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

My accountant told me that I can't really expense the monthly ticket, as this could also be used for personal purposes. Pro-rata won't work as well. That all came as a nasty surprise to me...

I'm commuting daily to my work, so I thought this is a legit business expense, and it's not small at all, around £250 per month.

Any feedback on that really appreciated.
            Accountant is wrong

Working for big consultancies as permie, quite normal to be contractually based at home and expense a monthly train pass to where you happen to be working, which is often london, and HMRC never question it. Shouldnt be any different for any company.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
              Accountant is wrong

Working for big consultancies as permie, quite normal to be contractually based at home and expense a monthly train pass to where you happen to be working, which is often london, and HMRC never question it. Shouldnt be any different for any company.
              Completely different model. You can expense many things through big companies they can't claim the tax back on. It's either part of investing in growth or they pass it straight on the client. Just because you can do it as a number in a big company doesn't mean you can do it against tax in your own business.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                U sure a yearly one is THAT much cheaper?

I know when I used to do it, 7 day was a little bit cheaper than daily, montly was tons cheaper, 3 monthly was 3x monhtly so pointless, and yearly was just a little cheaper again.

In fact, doing the month+x trick it was cheaper than a yearly.
                Definitely the yearly one is much cheaper - with the expected ticket rise of %3.6 from Jan-18, if I buy now the yearly ticket I will directly save £41 per month, or £492 per year...

For the tulip service they offer me on a daily basis, each pence saved from them is even more appreciated...

Comment

Working...
                X