• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want to become Business Analyst...qualifications needed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I'm sure they would, my bin man certainly would like to earn it .

I was just suggesting as far as the contract market goes in 2017, £400PD is not a great deal.
    And I expect that for a top 10 global firms CEO, £1,000,000 p.a. is not a great deal. But that's not of much relevance if you're a permie IT Admin worker trying to get ahead in life.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      And I expect that for a top 10 global firms CEO, £1,000,000 p.a. is not a great deal. But that's not of much relevance if you're a permie IT Admin worker trying to get ahead in life.
      Very true, but I was trying to point out that was around the going rate when I first started contracting.
      17 years ago.

That was my point.

As far as being out of touch goes, my previous pay directly before that was £20K per annum.

In fact I was actually in a very similar position as the OP when I 1st started.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The world 17 years ago was very different to now - given that perm rates have hardly increased in that time (an agent sent me a senior .net developer role paying £35k last week) its hardly surprising contract rates haven't increased.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The world 17 years ago was very different to now - given that perm rates have hardly increased in that time (an agent sent me a senior .net developer role paying £35k last week) its hardly surprising contract rates haven't increased.
          Maybe some.
          It used to be, back then, that only your front office IB roles would be the ones commanding £600-800 PD.

These days for experienced people, of any worth, this is around the going rate.

Obviously, negotiation is essential, roles do not always pay the paltry rates actually advertised.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm also considering a move as a Business Analyst on a contract basis.

A couple of questions, please.

1. Is Prince 2 still highly regarded in the industry? is it worth pursuing as a qualification? or am I better off just building some solid project experience?
            2. How is a Business Analyst different to a Project Manager?

Comment

Originally posted by raineman87 View Post

1. Is Prince 2 still highly regarded in the industry? is it worth pursuing as a qualification? or am I better off just building some solid project experience?
              Err... Business Analysts analyse the business and Project Manager manage projects within the business.

It really is that simple.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by raineman87 View Post

How can you even begin to consider selling your expertise in an area you don't appear to have even the first inkling? That question 2... really???
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

I was just trying to suggest that around 17 years, or so ago, that sort of role was paying £350 PD.

That was for my first contract as well.
                  Back in 1997-2000 rates could be crazy and higher than today. I had mates on 900 pd day for roles that today pay 500. The Y2K bug made every company think they had to pay silly money for contractors. To be fair though, contractors were thin on the ground so you had to pay good money to get a good one. Today everyone is jumping into contracting meaning supply and demand is driving down day rates.

I was stupid and should have started contracting back then but wasn't brave enough. I jumped across in 2007 and have been on 500 pd since then (more recently 550). But in 10 years the rate has been pretty flat.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Back in 1997-2000 rates could be crazy and higher than today. I had mates on 900 pd day for roles that today pay 500. The Y2K bug made every company think they had to pay silly money for contractors. To be fair though, contractors were thin on the ground so you had to pay good money to get a good one. Today everyone is jumping into contracting meaning supply and demand is driving down day rates.

I was stupid and should have started contracting back then but wasn't brave enough. I jumped across in 2007 and have been on 500 pd since then (more recently 550). But in 10 years the rate has been pretty flat.
                    Thats not bad at all - Thats a 120K salary assuming 220 days and paid out tax efficently you are in the top 1 per cent

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

yep! - i made a mint from Y2K paranoia.
                      even after we proved it had NO impact on the operating system, they still insisted on onsite engineers.
                      and the Euro launch, - that was another good'un

Comment

Working...
                      X