• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opt-in and Opt-out: Need advice still on my first contract (I won't renew after end)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisHadfield View Post
    Hi Stek,

Do you mean you have opted-in every time? This is one of the larger agencies as well.
    I opted-out everytime, mostly because I wasn't even aware of it (before I joined CUK and started worrying about everything) and because I found it onerous to comply as they don't want you to opt-in, and lately cos I've been working abroad and have gone brolly/local payroll for an easy life.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisHadfield View Post
      Hi Stek,

Do you mean you have opted-in every time? This is one of the larger agencies as well.
      Best advice is to ignore it anyway. The chances are very high that the agency hasn't met the criteria necessary to allow you to opt out so you'll be in anyway. If the "opting out" form has arrived with the contract after being accepted for the gig it's already too late so sign it and ignore it.

One risk is that - thanks to a ruling by the relevant Department - companies are free to choose who to trade with and under what conditions. Make a fuss and the gig will mysteriously disappear.

(BTW you can't opt in. You're in unless you correctly opt out before introduction to the client. Snag is, nobody has defined "introduction" and naturally we have a different view to the agencies about when this has occurred.)
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Best advice is to ignore it anyway. The chances are very high that the agency hasn't met the criteria necessary to allow you to opt out so you'll be in anyway. If the "opting out" form has arrived with the contract after being accepted for the gig it's already too late so sign it and ignore it.

One risk is that - thanks to a ruling by the relevant Department - companies are free to choose who to trade with and under what conditions. Make a fuss and the gig will mysteriously disappear.

(BTW you can't opt in. You're in unless you correctly opt out before introduction to the client. Snag is, nobody has defined "introduction" and naturally we have a different view to the agencies about when this has occurred.)
        Does the client contacting you directly, offering the gig to you then putting you in touch with their agency count as an introduction? I opted out for ease and for it being worth the sheet of paper it was printed on.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

An experienced contractor I worked with said he opted out as it implies financial risk, therefore another argument against being caught IR35.

Make of that what you will, I'm waiting for my curry to cool down.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Does the client contacting you directly, offering the gig to you then putting you in touch with their agency count as an introduction? I opted out for ease and for it being worth the sheet of paper it was printed on.
            I spent all that time explaining it all to them the last time around as well.

That effort had the desired effect before, but I just didn't have the fight in me this time around
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              An experienced contractor I worked with said he opted out as it implies financial risk, therefore another argument against being caught IR35.

Make of that what you will, I'm waiting for my curry to cool down.

qh
              Didn't you manage to stifle a laugh when they said it?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The opt in / opt out debate - oh how I’ve missed you
                https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                  The opt in / opt out debate - oh how I’ve missed you
                  I haven't.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

By making a point of opting in means the agency has to satisfy the regulations which may push your contract within IR35. There is nothing important you get from the regulations which you can't get without it. As London Manc says you can ask for weekly payments. Some contractors think they're covered by the regulations because they haven't specifically opted out, but it's more complicated than that as anyone not under direct control of the client is automatically not covered, i.e. for it to be worth it everything in the regulations should be written into your "temporary employment" contract. Personally I wouldn't want a contract that reads like a temporary employment contract.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      By making a point of opting in means the agency has to satisfy the regulations which may push your contract within IR35. .
                      Where there is no definitive proof the general consensus from the experts is it makes no difference to IR35.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X