• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Difficult start to contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Seem to have plenty to say, but then say you would never work in such environments anyway.

So all done and dusted I guess.
    Indeed. I'll crawl back under my rock now.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Do this and get walked off site.

Lots of finance and defence companies do compliance checks on both staff and contractors. They are also very clear that you are not staff. Some actually request you put your information their contractor portal so after the handcuff period has run out they can hire you via other means.
      100% agree. Act like a dick/primadonna and you'll be out the door....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Never ceases to amaze me how some clients are willing to let contractors sit there without laptop/login or whatever and spend £1000s for them to be there. I've worked at some clients like this.

It does do your chunk in I must admit. However easy the money is its a long day.

Some clients it never really ramps up that much. Current client is so easy going that if you come up with any clever (actually they were pretty obvious) ideas you get a strange look as if to say "oooh we don't like to change things". Lovely bunch of people but very set in their ways..... That can be a bit demoralising too but "you can lead a horse to water...."

Some clients (like this) just want you around to do things like they want things done. Fair enough - they're paying. Probably better than the ones who expect miracles and 12 hour days for same rate.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Some clients (like this) just want you around to do things like they want things done. Fair enough - they're paying. Probably better than the ones who expect miracles and 12 hour days for same rate.
          A good mix of both contracts is what makes for a decent working life in contracting...

Regular "miracle" projects to keep you interested and learning

with equally "Regular" simple jobs so you can take your vacations at your desk with the meter running

Comment

Never ceases to amaze me how some clients are willing to let contractors sit there without laptop/login or whatever and spend £1000s for them to be there. I've worked at some clients like this.

It does do your chunk in I must admit. However easy the money is its a long day.

Some clients it never really ramps up that much. Current client is so easy going that if you come up with any clever (actually they were pretty obvious) ideas you get a strange look as if to say "oooh we don't like to change things". Lovely bunch of people but very set in their ways..... That can be a bit demoralising too but "you can lead a horse to water...."

They've assessed you and you're less risk without a login. HTHBIDI.

If you arrive before the laptop, there should still be reading/other orientation for you to do that your hiring manager can print off for you anyway. Not only that but they're going to look really unprofessional if they ask you to come back next week we're not ready for you. Similarly, you can curry favour with a smaller firm if you voluntarilty remove yourself for a day because you don't want to waste budget now that they could use later on for you.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Spoken like a truly disguised employee.

Comment

100% agree. Act like a dick/primadonna and you'll be out the door....
                There's a difference between being a primadonna and asserting that you be treated as the independent contractor that you are.

But I grant you, for some (many?) clients, they don't see the difference . You may be an independent contractor, but to them, you're a temporary staff member and you'll be treated and expected to behave exactly as the permies do. And therefore, you may come across as a primadonna when you insist on being treated differently as they simply cannot comprehend why you should be.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  But many of these forms at to prove the client is meeting their legal obligations. Your PI doesn't help them do that.
                  Their legal obligations are of no concern to my limited.
                  Last edited by billybiro; 29 November 2017, 14:15.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    There's a difference between being a primadonna and asserting that you be treated as the independent contractor that you are.

But I grant you, for some (many?) clients, they don't see the difference . You may be an independent contractor, but to them, you're a temporary staff member and you'll be treated and expected to behave exactly as the permies do. And therefore, you may come across as a primadonna when you insist on being treated differently as they simply cannot comprehend why you should be.
                    Absolutely not the case at my current client. Clear difference made, from the separate onboarding sessions for contracts and permies, massive difference in the cost of Xmas party (free v f-that!) and a host of other fluffy differences, that's without the actual work side.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                      Their legal obligations are of no concern to my limited.
                      I think that's the dumbest thing I've seen you post yet. It was a close run thing though.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X