• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting for 2hrs each way every day. Any thoughts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
    Been doing it for years, use the first hour on the train on the ipad to study and the remaining 45 mins to catch up on game or thrones or whatever else i am watching. same on the return journey. Take exams then up my rate and move onto better roles. Dont see it all as a negative. Mind you I am in a relationship and no dependants, might be different if you have kids or stuff
    Fair play. Probably of 90 mins commute on train for two years. 500 days so 750 hours I probably spent 600 hours having a kip!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Fair play. Probably of 90 mins commute on train for two years. 500 days so 750 hours I probably spent 600 hours applying for JSA
      FTFY

Comment

Not quite 2 hrs but I drive 1hr 40 most days with occasional 2hr days (each way) - M25/M1 or M40/x country depends on the numpties around Luton most days...

Its tedious, no two ways about it. I used to justify it as @I could be waiting for/sitting ona train to go into London for the same time, but not get the millage etc etc (car is 15p/mile to run)

But the reality is that (IMHO) much more than 1hr 20 is a pain! Fortunately, the client is flexible and I only do it 3 days a week (could be all WFH if I wanted but I find its hand to be in the loop that forms when in the office)

not withstanding the above... I've just done a 57 min trip to the centre of town for an interview (not the only reason, but travel time was a factor) ... so I guess that sums up what I think of a 2 hr commute: If you have no choice or are getting some other win, OK, but I'd think twice.

m

Comment

I worked in the City for a few years before realising I was spending the majority (2+days) working from home. At that point we decided to move back up north with a young family, prioritising value for money on home/better quality of life etc

This of course means commuting into the city 2 days per week, which involves 0430 wake up, 0530 train and sat at desk for 0730. It's a personal preference to travel this early to avoid rush hour. Working for a manager with whom I've built the trust to leave at 1600 and be home for 1845. This I've been doing for 3+ years and it works well. The most I'd do this for is 3 days a week however, given the sacrifice it result in not seeing family (2 children under 3!)

The constant risk is not being able to find a contract with this sort of flexibility, at which point I'll be forced to take a local contract with less money and more days in the office. In this context, the current contract, despite additional commute time allows for additional family time than a local contract (and of course a significantly better day rate)

In short, only accept the contract if there is flexibility and don't do more than 3+ days would be my two pence - choose life like many have said.

Good luck!

Comment

U
            Originally posted by MSC7 View Post

This of course means commuting into the city 2 days per week, which involves 0430 wake up, 0530 train and sat at desk for 0730. It's a personal preference to travel this early to avoid rush hour. Working for a manager with whom I've built the trust to leave at 1600 and be home for 1845. This I've been doing for 3+ years and it works well. The most I'd do this for is 3 days a week however, given the sacrifice it result in not seeing family (2 children under 3!)
            Pre-wake up and post-bedtime routines - you've got that timing down to a tee
            Last edited by kaiser78; 14 December 2017, 22:26.

Comment

Personally, I could not do this. It all depends on you as a person but I think after a couple of months you would get fed up and tired of the constant travelling and it will begin to feel like that's all you're doing. For me, after I have finished work, I just want to get home and so I would hate to have to travel for 2 hours. Not for me.

Comment

I'm currently suffering a 3 hour round trip. I've lasted 9 months so far, but I won't be renewing unless there is a significant uplift in my day rate. Nearly crashed a couple of times due to taking risks from frustration!

Comment

I have just started a 4 hour round trip commute...thrown in the towel already and staying local for 3 nights.....but missing the kids already!

Comment

Working...
                  X