• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting for 2hrs each way every day. Any thoughts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.5 hour max daily - otherwise weekly commute (or hotel monday, tuesday, thursday night if the travel isn't too far).
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It's like PC has risen again.
      The viability of this kind of commute can also depend on the car parking arrangements at the client, so the OP should start a thread for relevant arrangements at any potential new client.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        The viability of this kind of commute can also depend on the car parking arrangements at the client, so the OP should start a thread for relevant arrangements at any potential new client.
        Stuffing a couple of quid in an envelope through a letter box can cause a significant increase in journey time.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I've had hour commutes that when they have gone wrong have ended up being 3 hours. So I have the rule that my commutes can only take an hour one way.

Also if you rely on trains and the tube you need to expect in the colder months that they will go wrong twice a week on average then you won't get pissed off.
          Having done the same location - Gloucester/Cheltenham area every winter for the past 4 now (different clients) then yes I;d say its worse in the winter.

When the trains go wrong, they go spectacularly wrong. Like lines closed etc. (Used to flood a lot the line that runs along the river severn) Probably in 4 winters though I only had to go via bristol say 4 or 5 times. Rest of the time it wasnt too bad. I did make sure I filled in the delay forms every time though.

Much less than driving most places I'd say. M4 in south wales seems to see a serious accident about once a week.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Aye true. Last client - £6 in public car park due to city centre location. Current client multi-storey onsite - even a tunnel so you dont get wet :-)
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyProtein View Post
              Hello all,

I am coming across some opportunities where the commute is on average 2hrs each way (4hrs total a day).

In the City I have known some contractors to leave around 6.30am for a 9am start but they tend to be of the 50+ age range and veterans of the game who have done it for a long time.

What are your thoughts on this type of thing? 2hrs + 8hr work day + 2hr commute back. With traffic and delays this can be more or less.

Is it worth it? Let's say the money was not extra-ordinary, and maybe it was only for 6 months? People are quite adaptable and as above I have seen some people do it but not sure what impact this has on their health and personal life.

Anyone have personal experience where they have done this and can share?
              I used to do Leeds to Birmingham on a daily basis, 125 miles driving each way. That was back in 1999 when a) I was a lot younger and b) the roads were less busy than they are now (but still busy). I could never do that again. I've also done Leeds to Brighton, driving down on a Monday morning and back on a Friday, staying in hotels mid-week so only a 10 min walk to client site. Several years ago I did the mid-Sussex (Haywards Heath) to Canary Wharf rail commute. That was around 1 hour 45 each way, door-to-door, and totally soul destroying. From what I hear, the trains are even more crammed now and having a 1st class ticket no longer guarantees you a seat. Again, it's not something I'd ever want to do again. These days I tend to stay very close to where I contract, which it typically London, and sacrifice a few nights a week away for a much shorter mid-week commute.

Comment

I've done it. A lot. I rarely extend as I'm totally exhausted after 3 months of it - but then again, I'm getting on a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                  I used to do Leeds to Birmingham on a daily basis, 125 miles driving each way. That was back in 1999 when a) I was a lot younger and b) the roads were less busy than they are now (but still busy). I could never do that again. I've also done Leeds to Brighton, driving down on a Monday morning and back on a Friday, staying in hotels mid-week so only a 10 min walk to client site. Several years ago I did the mid-Sussex (Haywards Heath) to Canary Wharf rail commute. That was around 1 hour 45 each way, door-to-door, and totally soul destroying. From what I hear, the trains are even more crammed now and having a 1st class ticket no longer guarantees you a seat. Again, it's not something I'd ever want to do again. These days I tend to stay very close to where I contract, which it typically London, and sacrifice a few nights a week away for a much shorter mid-week commute.
                  I did Warwick to Leeds and back every day for a while, but I got to claim 58p per mile from the client, which somehow made it feel much better.

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyProtein View Post
                    Hello all,

I am coming across some opportunities where the commute is on average 2hrs each way (4hrs total a day).

In the City I have known some contractors to leave around 6.30am for a 9am start but they tend to be of the 50+ age range and veterans of the game who have done it for a long time.

What are your thoughts on this type of thing? 2hrs + 8hr work day + 2hr commute back. With traffic and delays this can be more or less.

Is it worth it? Let's say the money was not extra-ordinary, and maybe it was only for 6 months? People are quite adaptable and as above I have seen some people do it but not sure what impact this has on their health and personal life.

Anyone have personal experience where they have done this and can share?
                    I've been doing two hours a day each way for the best part of 15 years (Hampshire to City of London\Canary Wharf). I'm one of the 50+ guys you mention. My kids are all growed up and it's just me and the Missus at home. I'm 2-3 years off retirement.

I leave home at 05:15, get into town at 07:15 do an hour in the gym and I'm at my desk by 08:15. Coming home I leave at 17:30 and get home at 19:25. All of this is train dependent. 1 hour 20 mins of each way is on a train. I cycle to\from the station at both ends.

My tips are;

Get into a routine.
                    Stay fit.
                    Go to bed early.
                    Do not work longer hours than necessary.
                    Do not go on the sauce midweek.
                    Do something interesting on the train. I watch films or learn French\Italian.

At the end of the day it's all about the money. When that equation no longer works, I'll stop. It's not for everyone but I'm a hard b*stard.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

On long commutes by train I have negotiated with client co that my work time includes travel. I make sure that I have enough work on my laptop to keep me busy and answer emails etc.

I would not do long daily commutes by car.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X