• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting for 2hrs each way every day. Any thoughts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 hours each way is the limit of what I would do on a daily basis. It starts out OK but quickly becomes a grind. Bear in mind that 2 hrs is entirely dependent on traffic. Any problems and it can easily become 3 or longer.

For a well paying 3 month gig I'd do it, but not for longer than that. If it was for longer I'd look at staying locally, which may or may not be an option for you.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyProtein View Post
      Hello all,

I am coming across some opportunities where the commute is on average 2hrs each way (4hrs total a day).

In the City I have known some contractors to leave around 6.30am for a 9am start but they tend to be of the 50+ age range and veterans of the game who have done it for a long time.

What are your thoughts on this type of thing? 2hrs + 8hr work day + 2hr commute back. With traffic and delays this can be more or less.

Is it worth it? Let's say the money was not extra-ordinary, and maybe it was only for 6 months? People are quite adaptable and as above I have seen some people do it but not sure what impact this has on their health and personal life.

Anyone have personal experience where they have done this and can share?
      I did this for my first contract with good money, before kids were on the scene, to build up a war chest. It's tough after a while. The way I made it work was:

Arrive late / leave late on Monday
      Stay overnight Monday
      Arrive early / leave early on Tuesday
      Go home Tuesday
      Wednesday as Monday
      Thursday as Tuesday
      Work at home on Friday.

If the client will go for this and the finances work out for two (or at least one) overnight stay, then it's workable just about.

Depends what your options are as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        2 hours each way is the limit of what I would do on a daily basis. It starts out OK but quickly becomes a grind. Bear in mind that 2 hrs is entirely dependent on traffic. Any problems and it can easily become 3 or longer.

For a well paying 3 month gig I'd do it, but not for longer than that. If it was for longer I'd look at staying locally, which may or may not be an option for you.
        I omitted a mention that I was referring to a two hour commute on a train or good quality coach, with no/minimal station changes. Driving takes a lot of concentration and is time you cannot sleep, read, text your various lovers.

For driving 2 hours+ each way, it's a double: don't do it!

The only genre I know who seem to embrace this are the men born circa 1950's who think it shows great resolve. They're also generally divorced too, unsurprisingly.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
          I omitted a mention that I was referring to a two hour commute on a train or good quality coach, with no/minimal station changes. Driving takes a lot of concentration and is time you cannot sleep, read, text your various lovers.

For driving 2 hours+ each way, it's a double: don't do it!

The only genre I know who seem to embrace this are the men born circa 1950's who think it shows great resolve. They're also generally divorced too, unsurprisingly.
          Good quality coach? YACNCOTBAC.

Comment

I've done 1.5-2 hour each way commutes in car and train for different contracts.
            The car commute was as easy as could be for that length of time, just sitting on the M40 and 2 mins off there at each end...wouldn't do it again.

Sucked the life out of me, i was misery at home, put on weight cos of the sedentary lifestyle, probably not as productive at work as otherwise.

Stay over.

Comment

I did similar for over 2 years before this gig except it was via train. Leave home 630, drive to train station 45-55 mins on train, walk to client get there 810. Coming home, even if Left 430 it'd be pretty much 615 by the time I got home.

Train was empty-ish so not so bad. No way would I have driven it that long. Or stood on a packed train. It would have slowly killed me. In a way it was like an hour or twos extra kip a day on the train! Although I had to walk a bit so that did me some good too.

I did stay over once in a while or if I had something to do late. For sanity sake more than anything, night on my own in hotel etc.

I also got 1 day per fortnight wfh. Not brill but that one day makes a HUGE difference. Even if it means that one day you can sort dentist appt or something.

Thats a biggie as others have said. Even GP, dentist, kids appointments you're screwed. And forget any childcare - you will be out of the equation.

I did stay for 2 years because it was a great client but current gig is 25 mins drive (traffic allowing) and loads of flexibility. I can now drop my daughter onto school bus at 830 and get in just after 9 if needs be. I can even pick her up if we're stuck at 330.

I fell over and knacked my wrist recently. I had to have a few appts for x-ray, mri etc. in local hospital. 9am appt Im in office just before 10. Previous client it would have been a right PITA - probably 10am train office 11am.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

i've done some of those. a few jobs into Cambridge with 80 in and 120 out and one round the m25 that was 120 hours in and 90 out. they were both on the edge of sensible but many of my jobs entail planes and different countries and the opportunity to sleep in my own bed and actually have some home life made the stretch worth it. i love driving - so that helps and each time i got a new car to enjoy but tbh the stress (focus) is high - by the time you get to the office you'll feel properly drained. squeeze a regular wfh day from the client. look at staying over at a local hotel some weeks.

Comment

Much over an hour and a half and I'd want to stay over at least one night a week. For 2hr + of driving, I'd probably go on Monday early, stay Mon - Thurs, come home Thursday night, then drive back again on Friday, or stay all week, working longer hours during the week and leaving around 2-3pm on a Friday, with the client's agreement.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It's like PC has risen again.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

I've had hour commutes that when they have gone wrong have ended up being 3 hours. So I have the rule that my commutes can only take an hour one way.

Also if you rely on trains and the tube you need to expect in the colder months that they will go wrong twice a week on average then you won't get pissed off.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X