• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confirming you've been put forward

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Also be aware even if agent one is on the PSL, if the agent two is favoured more by the client then they will look at CVs from that preferred agent first.
    While I don't doubt this is true I don't see how knowing that helps given that every agent will claim to be best buddies with the client.

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post
      While I don't doubt this is true I don't see how knowing that helps given that every agent will claim to be best buddies with the client.
      Unfortunately agents don't know they are best buddies with the client, only you can find that out but only normally once you have the role and are interacting with the client.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Is that a good idea? Leaving the agent to do extra work for a start. And to trust him not to ignore what you say and bung it in anyway which could cause problems for you.

That's very trusting for you that hates all agents and doesn't trust them as far as you can spit.
        Pray tell. Please tell us exactly how contractors can, in a foolproof manner (i.e. doesn't depend upon believing what an agent tells you):
        a) Ensure their CV is submitted to the client
        b) Is not submitted more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
          Pray tell. Please tell us exactly how contractors can, in a foolproof manner (i.e. doesn't depend upon believing what an agent tells you):
          2/10. Try harder.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
            Put in a subject access request to the client.

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post
              So given that we're all still alive after the budget....

Having been in this game for a good few years, one of the subtleties I've never quite figured out is whether it's possible to confirm you've been put forward for a role and if so how.

So a few days ago I spoke to an agent regarding a role, they told me they would put my CV in front of client later that same day. All sounds good so far.
              Then I see many other listings for what appear to be same role with a variety of agents. One of them contacts me. I think I've been forward I tell them.

Given all the games agents play it's quite plausible that the first agent is taking candidates (IE me) off the market to prevent them from being used by rival agents simply by telling those candidates they're submitting them without actually doing so.
              This might well be because the agent has another candidate who is nearly as qualified on paper as me but willing to work for £100 less a day.

Obviously this doesn't apply to agent-exclusive roles.

I've tried to get written confirmation of being put forward once before and it went down like a lead balloon. Got all the "oh I'm hurt don't you trust me" routine.

Agents often request right to represent emails to protect their interests. Should we be seeking emails to protect ours?

So interested to know if anyone has ever sought confirmation and if so whether they had any success?
              I had this once, agent told me my cv had been submitted for a role I applied for. A day later, another agent I had worked with contacted me about the same job (please dont give me semantics about 'job,' Im not interested!).

I told second agent sorry, Ive already been submitted. Next day, second agent phoned me and said first agent hadnt submitted me as she had the list of people submitted by all the agencies and I wasnt on it.

Needless to say, the first agent wasnt available to take my calls when I now phoned to speak to them. Id worked with the second agent before so I was pretty certain she was being honest when she said I hadnt been submitted.

Bottom line is, even if you only give an agent exclusivity you have no certainty you have been submitted even if the agent says you have.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                Next day, second agent phoned me and said first agent hadnt submitted me as she had the list of people submitted by all the agencies and I wasnt on it.
                That's an interesting one - unless the second agent is actually doing recruitment / contractor engagement for the end-client I'd be surprised that they would genuinely be able to get a hold of information regarding candidates/prospective suppliers that they are not responsible for

Certainly in my time working on the other side of the fence recruiting people for my employer when I was permie I would never have provided details provided by one agency to another agency (commercial confidence and data protection and all that).

Comment

Originally posted by CatOnMat View Post
                  That's an interesting one - unless the second agent is actually doing recruitment / contractor engagement for the end-client I'd be surprised that they would genuinely be able to get a hold of information regarding candidates/prospective suppliers that they are not responsible for

Certainly in my time working on the other side of the fence recruiting people for my employer when I was permie I would never have provided details provided by one agency to another agency (commercial confidence and data protection and all that).
                  The second agent was on the PSL, the first was not. As I mentioned, Id worked with the second agent previously. I couldnt see why she would invest time, effort and phoning me about 5 times if she wasnt being straight. She could have just said ok, I'll submit someone else instead.

Comment

Submit CV through second agent using a different name, e.g. middle name. You may get an interview via both agents so two bites at the cherry if you take a suitable disguise for the second interview. Just wearing a pair of glasses works for Superman/Supergirl.

I've come across contractors using aliases, sometimes only found out after they'd left and gave a different name on the email address to keep in touch. Most recent apparently because 'that's what everyone called him'. I expect this is one of the perks of using multiple aliases when you can't trust agents to do their job. Not sure the other benefits as it must be tricky to get through the identity confirmation due diligence process, unless they have fake docs.

Alternatively, call the client giving the name of the agency, to confirm the interview slots and candidates put forward so far by your 'colleague'.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      Submit CV through second agent using a different name, e.g. middle name. You may get an interview via both agents so two bites at the cherry if you take a suitable disguise for the second interview. Just wearing a pair of glasses works for Superman/Supergirl.

I've come across contractors using aliases, sometimes only found out after they'd left and gave a different name on the email address to keep in touch. Most recent apparently because 'that's what everyone called him'. I expect this is one of the perks of using multiple aliases when you can't trust agents to do their job. Not sure the other benefits as it must be tricky to get through the identity confirmation due diligence process, unless they have fake docs.

Alternatively, call the client giving the name of the agency, to confirm the interview slots and candidates put forward so far by your 'colleague'.
                      In the UK you can use any name you want as long as you don't intend to deceive people. So it is legal to be known by your middle name rather than your first name.

So if your name was for example John David Thomas, you can get everyone to call you David for obvious reasons. Your existing ID documents e.g. passport would still be valid as you just don't want to be called a penis.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X